distortion on Audacity>MP3

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

distortion on Audacity>MP3

Permanent link to this post Posted by goodear » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm using Audacity 1.3.12 on my Mac, OS 10.6. I did a real simple edit on an MP3 file using Audacity - I just deleted some room noise before the music starts. The edit sounds good on Audacity, but after I saved it to MP3, I hear some low level distortion on playback of the MP3 - sort of a fuzziness. What might be causing this? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
goodear

Operating System: Please select

Re: distortion on Audacity>MP3

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 pm

goodear wrote:I'm using Audacity 1.3.12 on my Mac, OS 10.6. I did a real simple edit on an MP3 file using Audacity - I just deleted some room noise before the music starts. The edit sounds good on Audacity, but after I saved it to MP3, I hear some low level distortion on playback of the MP3 - sort of a fuzziness. What might be causing this? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

MP3 is always a lossy format.

If you import an MP3 in Audacity, it decompresses it, which means you have to export it as another MP3. So you then get twice the quality loss (the original MP3 encoding, then Audacity's MP3 encoding).

You can click "Options..." when you export and choose a higher bit rate. This will reduce the amount of quality degradation but increase the file size.

If you want no quality loss, export as AIFF (large files) or edit the MP3 in Audion or Macsome which edit MP3's directly instead of decompressing then re-encoding them.

http://www.panic.com/audion/
http://www.macsome.com/audio-editor-mac/index.html .

Please note that 1.3.12 is now obsolete and unsupported. Download the current 2.0.3 here http://audacityteam.org/download/mac .

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by goodear » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Wow, that worked nicely - I mean choosing the higher bit rate. It was at 128 and I changed it to 192. That removed the fuzziness. Thank you! Now if I may ask you another question about Audacity. I looked in the effects and couldn't find anything that adds "hall" ambience to recording made in a small, dry-sounding room. Did I miss it? or is it just not there in Audacity?

Gale Andrews wrote:
goodear wrote:I'm using Audacity 1.3.12 on my Mac, OS 10.6. I did a real simple edit on an MP3 file using Audacity - I just deleted some room noise before the music starts. The edit sounds good on Audacity, but after I saved it to MP3, I hear some low level distortion on playback of the MP3 - sort of a fuzziness. What might be causing this? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

MP3 is always a lossy format.

If you import an MP3 in Audacity, it decompresses it, which means you have to export it as another MP3. So you then get twice the quality loss (the original MP3 encoding, then Audacity's MP3 encoding).

You can click "Options..." when you export and choose a higher bit rate. This will reduce the amount of quality degradation but increase the file size.

If you want no quality loss, export as AIFF (large files) or edit the MP3 in Audion or Macsome which edit MP3's directly instead of decompressing then re-encoding them.

http://www.panic.com/audion/
http://www.macsome.com/audio-editor-mac/index.html .

Please note that 1.3.12 is now obsolete and unsupported. Download the current 2.0.3 here http://audacityteam.org/download/mac .

Gale
goodear

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 pm

goodear wrote:I looked in the effects and couldn't find anything that adds "hall" ambience to recording made in a small, dry-sounding room.

Effect > GVerb (underneath the divider in the Effect Menu). But read this first http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=GVerb .

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by goodear » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 am

Gale Andrews wrote:
goodear wrote:I looked in the effects and couldn't find anything that adds "hall" ambience to recording made in a small, dry-sounding room.

Effect > GVerb (underneath the divider in the Effect Menu). But read this first http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=GVerb .

Gale

Will GVerb work with Audacity or MP3?
goodear

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 am

goodear wrote:Will GVerb work with Audacity or MP3?

GVerb is included with Audacity. It is not the easiest or most full-featured reverb but it does "work" or we wouldn't include it.

Once again, MP3 is lossy. By definition, reverb produces a much less "clean" sound. Only you can decide if MP3 degradation of a reverbed sound is acceptable.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:18 am

Don't fall in love with the MP3 bitrate numbers. Audacity default is Stereo 128 is "good" -- assuming you started out with a perfect sound file. If you walked into the game with a 128 MP3, then the new MP3 quality is a good deal less than that. Never do production in MP3.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by goodear » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:13 am

I'm looking for GVerb in Audacity and I don't see it anywhere. Not under "effects." Where do I find it?

Gale Andrews wrote:

GVerb is included with Audacity. It is not the easiest or most full-featured reverb but it does "work" or we wouldn't include it.

Once again, MP3 is lossy. By definition, reverb produces a much less "clean" sound. Only you can decide if MP3 degradation of a reverbed sound is acceptable.

Gale
goodear

Permanent link to this post Posted by goodear » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Are you saying that GVerb works in the background, that it is not an effect I can add separately? Again, I looked for GVerb in the menu and couldn't find it anywhere.

goodear wrote:I'm looking for GVerb in Audacity and I don't see it anywhere. Not under "effects." Where do I find it?

Gale Andrews wrote:

Gale
goodear

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

goodear wrote:Are you saying that GVerb works in the background, that it is not an effect I can add separately?

No-one has said that. It is an effect like the other effects - you select the audio that you want to apply it to, then apply the effect.

goodear wrote:I looked for GVerb in the menu and couldn't find it anywhere.

It is below the divider in the effect menu.
Above the divider are the built in effects, starting with "Amplify" and going down to "Wahwah", then there is a divider, then below that are the plug-in effects. GVerb is in that part of the effects list.

If GVerb is not there, go to "Edit > Preferences > Effects" and ensure that "LADSPA" effects are enabled (ticked).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Next

Return to Mac OS X