Audacity won't recognize Cassette deck

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Audacity won't recognize Cassette deck

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hwood96 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I've been searching for an answer to this problem for an hour so apologies ahead of time if the answer is here somewhere.

I'm running Audacity 1.3.12 (beta) on a Macbook.

I bought an RCA to USB cable and have connected it to the out ports of a JVC TD-W318 cassette deck.

But when I plug the USB end in and turn on Audacity, it doesn't recognize any signal.

I have the Audacity settings correct (Line in) but there's no signal detected.

I can see the signal on the cassette deck so I know it's sending one.

Is it me?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hwood96

Re: Audacity won't recognize Cassette deck

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun May 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Step one, you didn't need the USB cable. Since you have a Macbook, you could have made do very well with one of these..

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/MiniStereoToRCA.jpg
http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/MacLine-In.jpg

You may still decide to do that. That simple connection is likely to give you far better sound quality than a USB "cable."

Anyway, with Audacity closed, Apple > System Preferences > Hardware > Sound > Input. Select whatever you plug into the Mac. If you play music, the blue ball sound meter should jump.

Close.

Now open Audacity > Preferences > Devices and select the same thing -- or sometimes you can just select Core Audio and let the Mac do the work. Click once in the Audacity red recording meters and they will wake up and meter the sound without you having to go into full record -- although that works, too.

Record your brains out.

Remember that Audacity will not Save a sound file. You have to Export to get a sound file.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hwood96 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 am

Thanks but with the USB plugged in and your steps followed explicitly, when I click on The Sound preferences for my Mac all it gives me is:

INTERNAL-MICHROPHONE or
LINE IN

When I click LINE IN (with the player playing and showing signal bars on the cassette deck itself) nothing sounds within my Mac. No signal at all.

I use a Mic occasionally and that still works fine (being recognized by the Mac). But it won't recognize the signal coming in from the cassette deck.
Hwood96

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon May 23, 2011 3:16 am

If your sound device fails to arrive in Mac Preferences, that's the end of the story.

Now you get to tell us all about your USB Cable. Everything. Maker, model number, pictures.

Mac Line-In is how I have the cassette machine connected in my illustration. That's connected to the two black arrows and black circle icon. That's the Mac stereo Line-In.

That's not how your USB cable is connected. That should be a third thing in your list.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hwood96 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm

It's from a company called HDE and the product sku is called Z05. (3 RCA to USB Cable is the name on the invoice. The packaging itself lists no identifiers.)

It has a yellow video RCA and a white and red audio RCA leading into a USB.

Yes, I plugged the correct audio cables into the correct cassette deck receptors and just left the video RCA unplugged.

Unfortunately it appears that this page won't allow me to post an image. My apologies.
Hwood96

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon May 23, 2011 11:30 pm

Yellow, Red and White, right? You bought a video interface cable. It will produce a stereo audio track embedded into a video bitstream. Audacity isn't going to know what to do with that. The Mac may not know, either.

OK, so we're back to this.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/MiniStereoToRCA.jpg

Alternately, you could use it anyway and try to open the service in iMovie, capture the show as a video file and try to export only the sound track. I'm not sure iMovie will export a track like that, but it's possible. I'm also not totally sure iMovie ships with the current OS-X. They used to. It may be only available as part of the iLife package.

Did you keep your receipts?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hwood96 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 am

Thanks, Koz. My bad. I just assumed that red/white cables were all the same.

Thanks for the clarification.

As for the receipt, I bought it super cheap on-line so I'll just keep it for future vid projects.

Thanks SO much!
Hwood96

Return to Mac OS X