Audacity 1.3.12 freeze on Mac during Save, lost temp files..

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Audacity 1.3.12 freeze on Mac during Save, lost temp files..

Permanent link to this post Posted by josefklus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello.

While saving an Audacity ® 1.3.12-beta (Unicode) 1-hour recording, the software crashed, froze. I had to force quit Audacity (MacBook, OS 10.6.5, 2.4ghz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb, 667 mhz, ddr2 sdram). Upon reopening, Audacity gave me an error message that another version of Audacity was installed and operating and could not open; not true. Actually, the other software was MS Excel that had also likewise frozen and crashed (fyi, not a 2nd Audacity).

After restarting my MacBook, Audacity said it would recover the lost audio file, but apparently it did not. Is there anyway to locate WHERE the interim recording in other files on my computer, or is it lost forever?

I've read the Forum boards, but could not locate A 1.3.12 Mac solutions for recovery. The links to Wikipedia don't help--I'm a newbie, don't know scripts and line code, and Wiki did not say WHAT IS the temp folder name I'm supposed to look for:
"To access it, use the "Go To Folder" command in the Finder, or type open tmp/ and insert the name of the folder after the /"

Spotlight search could not locate any Audacity .au files except one previously recorded and renamed (fine), and the one I tried naming after recovery--which appears blank/soundless. The board suggestion to export it, also yields one hour of nothing. I may have also gotten the orphans message at some point in recovery--did not understand what it wanted me to do, though....

Any ideas for recovery help? Where is this temp file?
(Also trying to Save As MP3, error message says I need to install libmp3lame.dylib, which I did but Audacity cannot find it. Guess I need to restart first?")

Thanks for helping me out!
Josef
[removed email address to protect user from spam]
josefklus

Operating System: Please select

Re: Audacity 1.3.12 freeze on Mac during Save, lost temp fil

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm

When you restarted the Mac it is possible that the temp files were automatically removed.

In Audacity, go to Audacity > Preferences > Directories. You will see the path to the temp directory. This folder is normally hidden by the Mac OS and will not show up in a spotlight search. Copy the text in that field in the Directory Preferences, then quit Audacity. In the Finder, click on Go > Go to Folder and paste that text into the dialog - that should take you to the Audacity temp folder. If you find anything there, move the contents to another folder, perhaps one you create on the desktop. If you get that far, let us know, and we'll take it from there.

I find it strange that the entire computer froze, that's not supposed to happen in OS X. The question is, why did it crash on saving? Did you have any "/" characters in the file name?

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm

I find it strange that the entire computer froze, that's not supposed to happen in OS X. The question is, why did it crash on saving? Did you have any "/" characters in the file name?

Did you fill up your hard drive?

Go > Utilities > Disk Utilities. Click on your system drive and read the size and amount used. You need to maintain at least 10% free space on your drive at all times. If you're doing a capture of an hour or more, you could generate a GB or so of material, more if you do effects. You need the 10% free after you do production. Some elves insist on more.

If you have multiple attached drives, they can't fill up, either.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by soil » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

I had a similar problem. My hard drive DID fill up. But here's the thing: right now I have a) cleaned up enough space and b) I have not shut down Audacity c) I can see the Audacity window with the recording up. What should I do? I just have the perpetually-spinning colorwheel-of-pain in my face. Help!?
soil

Operating System: Please select

Return to Mac OS X