Batch processing a folder

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Batch processing a folder

Permanent link to this post Posted by FuZion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,

I'd like to creata a batch process (I believe they're called Chains in Audacity) to load all files in a folder, cut out the first minute of the track, cut the track 2 minutes in from there, then save the file a a 128k mp3 in another folder.

This will then give me a folder full of 2 minute clips for each tune in the original folder.

I've had a look through the Edit Chains options but don't seem to be able to work out how to trim the tunes.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks, FuZion.
FuZion

Re: Batch processing a folder

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:00 pm

The individual components of Chains have to be programmed separate from their more normal versions. If you didn't find the Chain tool you're looking for, chances are it hasn't been programmed yet.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by FuZion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:04 pm

No worries,

Thanks for the response. Earlier today I found a Mac program called 'MP3 Trimmer', which can do the trim for me, now I can Import & Export using a Chain in Audacity to reduce the bit rate.

FuZion.
FuZion

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm

<<<now I can Import & Export using a Chain in Audacity to reduce the bit rate.>>>

Or maybe not. It's a better than even chance that the direct MP3 tools work at the native bitrate of the original MP3. Not so Audacity. Audacity pulls work into itself and immediately translates it to very high quality with the idea that you're going to do production and effects. If you Export MP3, it converts the music and the original MP3 damage to a new MP3, effectively doubling the damage. It's even worse if you export to a lower bitrate.

You need to know that it's going to do that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by FuZion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 pm

The project I have doesn't really need the highest quality.

I'm building clips of tunes for an online database so people can hear a sample of the music it's representing. the intention is to be of lower quality & only 3 minute clips.

In the mean time, I've found another program to convert the music from the original 320k to 128k, a program called Switch.

Still Audacity was always in there recording the original vinyls.

FuZion.
FuZion

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm

<<<Still Audacity was always in there recording the original vinyls.>>>

And effects, cleanup, and filtering. Yes, it does that just fine.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by FuZion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:41 pm

Yes, I done a lot of clean ups. Dub plates that have worn down over the years got a little EQ work done, light scratches cleaned up with Click removal & of course, quiet vinyls getting a boost in levels to meet the higher quality pressings.

Gotta love Audacity.

FuZion.
FuZion

Return to Mac OS X