Can't adjust input volume

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Can't adjust input volume

Permanent link to this post Posted by derekt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm running on Vista SP1. When I use Sound Recorder, I have no problem adjusting input volume through Control Panel, but I can't adjust input volume through Audacity. I've tried changing the input source (recording device) under Preferences, to no avail (it is currently set to MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input). Since I cannot adjust the input volume, it is hitting the red, which I know will cause distortion. Any ideas? Unfortunately the cassette recorder I am using as my music source does not have an output level control.
derekt

Re: Can't adjust input volume

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:28 am

Use the Control Panel to adjust the recording level. Some sound card drivers just ignore Audacity.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by derekt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm

When I adjust the input volume in Control Panel, it has no effect on Audacity. It correctly controls the input volume for Sound Recorder, but Audacity still peaks into the red.
derekt

Permanent link to this post Posted by tophtml » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 am

I find that if I adjust the output volume level of the device I am recording from in the Volume Control Panel instead of the input level, it controls the recording volume level in Audacity.
tophtml

Permanent link to this post Posted by derekt » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:34 pm

Problem solved. I have to sheepishly admit that adjusting the Line In volume in the Control Panel actually does solve the input overload problem. The reason I didn't see any impact at first is that I only cut it to about 25%. Believe it or not, I have to cut the input volume down to 5% or less! So if anyone else thinks that adjusting the input volume in the Control Panel is having no effect, try cutting it right down to 5% or less and you might find, as I did, that it solves the overload problem!
derekt

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrV » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi guys, hope you don't mind that I 'steal' this thread ;)

I'm using Audacity V 1.3.7 to record my vinyl through the recording channel of my Xone:92 mixer to my Audio8 soundcard. I have set the volume in my mixer to -3/+3 dB and have maxed out my soundcard (recording) volume both in the Vista sound settings and within Audacity.

In the previous Audacity version that I ran, V 1.2.6, this produced fine recording output. I got a good waveform and proper sound dynamics. However, this version continually crashed in Vista.

My present Audacity version never crashes and is a great improvement in terms of usability and interface. However, my recording volume remains low, whatever I do. The result is a relatively flat waveform and lacking sound dynamics.

If I record through Traktor Pro, I get a good recording. Therefore, I conclude that my hardware setup is not the issue, but that it is directly related to my present Audacity version.

Please help!
MrV

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:41 pm

MrV wrote:If I record through Traktor Pro, I get a good recording. Therefore, I conclude that my hardware setup is not the issue, but that it is directly related to my present Audacity version.

Not necessarily. Traktor is probably using ASIO drivers which bypass Vistas horrible sound system. Audacity can not be distributed with ASIO support because of Steinberg's licensing restrictions, so it has to use the Windows sound system.

There is probably a setting hidden away somewhere that sets "Automatic Gain Control", "AGC", "Noise Reduction", "Echo Cancellation" or some other type of "enhancement" for your recording device. The settings are probably well hidden. Have a look for an icon near the computer clock, and failing that, check the Windows Control Panel. Any such enhancements must be switched off. Note that these settings are often very well hidden so you may need to spend a bit of time looking for them.

The other thing you could try is setting Audacity to use the Direct X drivers. Edit menu > Preferences > Audio I/O - playback and recording devices.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrV » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Traktor does indeed use Asio drivers.

I have checked ALL my soundcard settings and have found nothing hidden. I have also tried to use the Directsound setting in Audacity, but this made no difference.

Remember: everything worked perfectly in V 1.2.6. If only that didn't crash on a constant basis :evil:
MrV

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:25 pm

MrV wrote:I have checked ALL my soundcard settings and have found nothing hidden. I have also tried to use the Directsound setting in Audacity, but this made no difference.

I wasn't at all sure that the Direct X drivers would make any difference, but I thought it was worth a try.

This definitely sounds like a sound card set-up issue, but the one thing that seems to contradict that is that you say it worked in Audacity 1.2.6 (albeit with crashes). Could you try Audacity 1.2.6 again so as to check that it still works (and is not a case of something else changing on your computer and incorrectly pointing the finger at Audacity 1.3). There is no need to uninstall Audacity 1.3 as Audacity 1.2.6 will automatically install in a different directory to 1.3.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MrV » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:59 pm

I've done that and 1.2.6 works well.
MrV

Next

Return to Windows