Extracting 2-Channel Audio from Pamela/Skype WMV

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Extracting 2-Channel Audio from Pamela/Skype WMV

Permanent link to this post Posted by Pitchforks » Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 am

Have recorded interviews on Skype using Pamela and found that when I did NOT use video face to face the stereo/2-channel set-up was maintained on WAV transfer to Audacity for editing, BUT when I use the video, so that the final product is a WMV (had no idea at time of recording that was ALSO recording visuals), on transfer to Audacity the 2 voice channels are merged into one, even when I click on the tab for separating into stereo.
Annoying, as would like to be able to edit my voice separately from that of the interviewee.
Is there a way to extract the audio from the WMV so that it comes to Audacity as 2 separate voice channels as recorded and pre-set in Pamela, or does using the video eliminate that possibility??
Pitchforks

Operating System: Please select

Re: Extracting 2-Channel Audio from Pamela/Skype WMV

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 am

That's news to us. What did Pamela say? It's their software with the gold-plated reputation. Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Pitchforks wrote:Is there a way to extract the audio from the WMV so that it comes to Audacity as 2 separate voice channels as recorded and pre-set in Pamela, or does using the video eliminate that possibility??

Unfortunately you cannot "un-mix" a track.
You could make a duplicate of the track and painstakingly go through silencing one voice from one track and silencing the other voice from the other track, but that will take forever. I'd suggest that you contact Pamela and ask if there is a way to record Skype video with separate audio tracks.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 am

Also Audacity 1.3 is now obsolete. Please uninstall it and download the latest 2.0.3 version from http://audacityteam.org/download/ .

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows