Recording level low when recording from youtube[SOLVED]

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Recording level low when recording from youtube[SOLVED]

Permanent link to this post Posted by aud450 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm probably a B+ Audacity user.

That means that I'm pretty adept with Windows programs, user interfaces, keyboard shortcuts, etc., with ability to intuitively or with help or google figure out how to do what I need to, but far short of someone who could qualify as a sound engineer using Audacity.

I know I have once used Audacity (probably 1.2.x) and Windows XP to easily and intuitively record off youtube.

However with my current setup (Win7 and 1.3.13-beta), it's not working.

My recording settings are MME/Speakers (Realtek High Definition)/Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition), which is what my reading on the subject says they should be.

But when I start a recording, it's virtually a flatline, versus the broad and "expressive" sound wave I get if I'm editing a standard mp3 or wav file.

It plays back (barely) audibly.

If I play with the Input Volume Slider (initially set to 0.2) this helps a bit, but by the time I'm out to 0.5 and higher, there's a horrible echo effect, and the soundwave is still flat.

Using the amplify effect helps a lot, but I have to really trial and error play with it to get something with acceptable sound level but no distortion. I am sure if I were more of an Audacity pro, this playing around would become more intuitive.

But what I'm really after is what am I doing wrong that recording off youtube generates such a flat sound wave that I have to edit?
aud450

Operating System: Please select

Re: Recording level painfully low when recording from youtub

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Though not directly relevant to your problem, 1.3.13 is long obsolete. Please upgrade to current 2.0.3 here: http://audacityteam.org/download/windows .

You can download the youtube videos (or audio therefrom) as files, so you don't lose quality recording them. Search Google for how. Remember to support the artists and buy their songs on CD.

On Windows 7 you have to play the songs loudly if you want to record them. You cannot turn the volume down and still record the songs as you could on XP.

aud450 wrote:by the time I'm out to 0.5 and higher, there's a horrible echo effect

Turn Transport > Software Playthrough off. Then you can turn the Audacity input slider up higher.

There is a development version of Audacity that records computer playback on Vista and later even if you don't have stereo mix, but that records more quietly than stereo mix so you may not like that either. If you want to play the songs quietly when you are recording them, you could try SoundLeech .

If you are not already doing so, you may subscribe here:
http://audacityteam.org/#announce

to receive an e-mail when we release new versions of Audacity. To subscribe, enter your e-mail address and click "Add".

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Recording level painfully low when recording from youtub

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Some computers literally record the speaker signal, meaning when you turn the house speakers or headphones down, the recording goes down, too.

The fact that you're getting feedback suggests you're recording the built-in microphone in addition to everything else.

You didn't expressly say you followed our wiki.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tu ... puter.html

Sometimes, it's not so much what you select as what you turn off.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Recording level low when recording from youtube[SOLVED]

Permanent link to this post Posted by aud450 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Though not directly relevant to your problem, 1.3.13 is long obsolete. Please upgrade to current 2.0.3 here: http://audacityteam.org/download/windows .

[... snip ...]

Turn Transport > Software Playthrough off. Then you can turn the Audacity input slider up higher.

Gale, thanks. I actually did upgrade to the latest Audacity before reading this response, and the Audacity online wiki help steered me to the Software Playthrough tip.

So I'm either fully all set, or close enough that I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks again.
aud450

Operating System: Please select

Return to Windows