Removing background noise in Powerpoint 2010 narration tool

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Removing background noise in Powerpoint 2010 narration tool

Permanent link to this post Posted by JohnMac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Hello,

I am completely new to Audacity and haven't got a clue as to what I am doing.

I have created a presentation using Powerpoint 2010 and used the narration tool in a number of the slides. There is a huge amount is of background noise. I have read a number of helpful suggestions before posting this request but none have told me how to eliminate background noise in Powerpoint.

My question is - Can it be done in Powerpoint 2010 and how) the how is the important part.

I am using Windows 8 and have just downloaded Audacity 2.0.3

Please forgive an old man for, perhaps, asking such a mundane question but I don't know how to do it and its giving me a heart attack.

Thank you

JohnMac
JohnMac

Operating System: Please select

Re: Removing background noise in Powerpoint 2010 narration t

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm

This is more of a Powerpoint question ...

Sound files can be either be embedded into Powerpoint file , or linked-to ...

office.microsoft.com wrote:In addition, when you link narrations, you can go back later and edit the sound files by using a sound editing program.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/powerpoint-help/add-narration-to-a-presentation-HA001230306.aspx

If the soundfiles are linked-to, (i.e. the powerpoint presentation contains links to where the sound files are stored on your computer), just find the soundfile on your computer, load the soundfile into Audacity, apply noise-reduction, then save the noise-reduced version with the identical name, format, location as the noisy original , (i.e. the noise-reduced version replaces the original soundfile so the powerpoint can locate it). Make a back-up copy of the soundfiles before you modify them, as the originals will be overwritten by their less-noisy replacements as they have to have exactly the same name so Powerpoint can find them.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:58 pm

There is a huge amount is of background noise.

How exactly did you record your voice? Did you talk into the built-in microphone of your laptop?

Making a good, effective PowerPoint visual presentation can be a piece of cake compared to recording your voice.

Recording your voice in a clean and clear way can be a piece of cake compared to trying to rescue a damaged voice recording. That's usually hopeless. So we need to find out exact what you were doing during the voice performance.

We'll talk you down.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by JohnMac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:05 am

Trebor & Koz,

Thank you very much for your assistance. Please excuse me for not getting back earlier. When I said learning this art would give me a heart attack wasn't far off the truth. I am recovering from heart bypass surgery and although nearing the end of my recuperation I am still, unfortunately plagued with a lot of pain. The last few days have been particularly bad which has resulted in my not being able to put your advice into action. I hope to get back at it in a day or so but I didn't want you to feel I was ignoring you or was totally ungrateful. So, once again I would genuinely like to say thank you.

Kindest Regards

John
JohnMac

Operating System: Please select

Return to Windows