File loss on upgrade?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

File loss on upgrade?

Permanent link to this post Posted by xxdoubterxx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Windows Vista, Audacity 1.3.12-beta. Computer illiterate. Want to upgrade to 2.0. FAQ says to delete current version before upgrade. What happens to recordings in current version when deleted prior to upgrade as indicated in FAQ?
xxdoubterxx

Operating System: Please select

Re: File loss on upgrade?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm

By default Audacity is installed in "Program Files"
Projects should not be saved in "Programs Files".
Projects should be saved in your user space (for example in "My Documents" or in "My Music"), in which case it is safe to remove Audacity and existing projects will be unaffected.

If you have saved projects inside the Audacity folder in Program Files, then you will need to move them before deleting Audacity. If you have done that, let me know and I will provide instructions for how to safely move them to a safe location.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by xxdoubterxx » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 pm

I do have files stored in the Audacity folder. Audacity automatically stores works in progress in that folder and doesn't appear to give an option to store them someplace else. The completed projects I usually export to my music folder as either mp3 or wav. Should I be storing the .au and .dat files outside of audacity as well? Thanks for your help.
xxdoubterxx

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 am

xxdoubterxx wrote:I do have files stored in the Audacity folder. Audacity automatically stores works in progress in that folder and doesn't appear to give an option to store them someplace else.

You shouldn't really store projects there.

When you first save a project there is a "file browser" that allows you to select where to save the project to. This may default to the Audacity folder on Windows the first time that you use it and continue to do so unless you change it, but that is not a "design decision" on the part of Audacity, it's just that Windows assumes that the program wants to save to its current working directory (so it's a bit of an accident really ;) )
Once a project has been saved, using "File menu > Save" will re-save the project wherever it is located.

Ideally, if you want to save projects you should save them somewhere in your "user space". On Vista or later that would be anywhere inside "Documents", "My Music" or "My... anything else". (On XP "Documents" is called "My Documents").

When saving a project for the first time, use the file browser within the "Save" dialogue to select where you want to save the project.

What I generally do is to create an empty folder inside "Documents" and name it "Audacity Projects", then save all my Audacity projects in there.

Note that it is not always necessary to save Audacity projects. Once the project is complete and you have safely exported the audio file you will probably not need the project files again, so they can be deleted, which will free up a lot of disk space.

If you have projects that you need to move, the safest way to move them is to open the project in Audacity, then use "File menu > Save As". This will open a project Save dialogue that has a file browser, and provides the opportunity to select a new location (and optionally a new name) to save a new copy of the project.

If you have a lot of projects that need moving, there is a quicker (but perhaps a little less "safe") way to move them - If you need to know how to move a lot of projects, please ask, but if there are only a few then I'd recommend using the "Save As" method.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by xxdoubterxx » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for the help. New Audacity installed and all the old files have survived the changeover. Really enjoying the updated software. Thanks again. :D
xxdoubterxx

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 pm

You're welcome. Glad the update went smoothly. ;)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Windows