Reason for weak input signal during recording?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Reason for weak input signal during recording?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Okieman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 am

My first multitrack song recording in Audacity. I have an existing track of chords played in time. Trying to record the bass. I set the bass volume pot to max and ran the output cord into one of the inputs of my M-Audio 1010LT sound card. I've checked the card's manual about beefing up signal levels, and bumped Audacity's input sensitivity, but as you can see in the screen captures below, the bass (bottom track) is puny. If I have to, I can insert a good rack-mount preamp between the bass and sound card, just want to be sure that's really necessary before I clutter things up?

(top two capture panels are sound card settings for those of you familiar with M-Audio)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cbs8pkehuobbc8o
Okieman

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Reason for weak input signal during recording?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 am

A bass guitar pickup will generate enough electrical power to light a small village. Something is really wrong.

Do you remember which soundcard input you used? Did you need adapters to connect?

Did you use the bass guitar pickup raw, or one of the outputs of your bass amp?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Okieman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 am

Do you remember which soundcard input you used? Did you need adapters to connect?

I used #3 from inputs #3-8. The bass cable is standard 1/4 inch and the input to the sound card is RCA, so I used an adapter. Checked the packaging and it's a simple adapter, not the stereo type with three conductors. So it matches the bass and the card. Checked the sleeve and tip just now with ohm meter to be sure; no resistance in either in the adapter.

Did you use the bass guitar pickup raw, or one of the outputs of your bass amp?

Raw from the bass.
Okieman

Permanent link to this post Posted by Okieman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:18 am

I posted in the M-Audio forum and got an employee reply:

Connecting the bass to a line input is a mismatched signal. Try connecting your rackmount preamp between the bass and the 1010LT. This will help your bass signal get closer to line level when recording into the 1010LT.

Seems I need to read up on basic principles about instrument output vs line input, etc.!
Okieman

Return to Windows