Error Opening Sound Device

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Error Opening Sound Device

Permanent link to this post Posted by kansassoccerdad » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:15 am

I am running Vista Home Premium updated with SP1. I had used Audacity 1.3.5 for a while and had no trouble. It was recording great. Then I tried using Windows Media Player with it and suddenly I can't record. When I hit the record button, I get the following error message "Error While Opening Sound Device. Please check input device settings and the project sample rate."

I have deleted Audacity and downloaded it again. I have unhooked my recording device (Ion TTUSB) and hooked it up again. I have changed the input device to our Logitech Microphone and get the same result. I have not been able to record anything since this happened. I have to believe that Media Player took over something, but I can't find what it may be. Any ideas?
kansassoccerdad

Re: Error Opening Sound Device

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:37 am

This page from the wiki may help you: http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_turntables

If that doesn't help - then please post back fo more assistance.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kansassoccerdad » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:58 am

I have used this page before, and I went through these steps again just to be sure, but I am still getting the same error message. I have gone through every choice in the recording device preferences, including the USB Audio CODEC, our Logitech Mic, and Microsoft Sound Mapper and when I hit record, I get the same message. I am really at a loss. Remember, this worked for a few weeks until this message suddenly stopped me.
kansassoccerdad

Permanent link to this post Posted by kansassoccerdad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 pm

I just read the post thread titled "Vista SP1 and What U Hear" and wonder if our problems are the same. I did update to SP1 sometime around the time my system quit working. Anyone else have experience with Vista and SP1 using Audacity?
kansassoccerdad

Permanent link to this post Posted by speechless » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 pm

This would seem to be the same problem I encountered directly after installing SP1 (Vista) and I suspect my sound card driver may have been changed but now that I've "uninstalled" SP1 and reverted to my previous state I'm loathe to re-install SP1 just to find out!
speechless

Permanent link to this post Posted by kansassoccerdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:44 am

Wow! I'm so happy. It is working again. Speechless gave me the concern about SP1 so I did a search on SP! in all threads and came up with a thread titled "Why Won't it Work??!!", which was a familiar refrain here. Anyway, here is the answer that put my system back into operation.

It's importent that Vista and Audacity agrees on sample rate and bit depth. SP1 for Vista installation chances thise settings on the recording driver - just another Microsoft feature ;-)

Go to the control panel, sound, recording tab and click properties on your recording device (eg. USB Audio CODEC). Click the Advanced tab and ensure the Default Format maches the setting in Audacity (Edit/Preferences/Quality/Default Sample Rate).

I checked and sure enough, my recording device preferences had been changed to 1 channel instead of 2. I made the change back and I am happily recording again.

I will post this on the other thread too for others to check out.
kansassoccerdad

Return to Windows