Audacitiy won't detect sound from cassette (SOLVED)

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Audacitiy won't detect sound from cassette (SOLVED)

Permanent link to this post Posted by vantec » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 am

Hello,
The specifics are these: I am using Audacity 2.0.0 on an HP computer running with Windows 7 x64 SP1, I have been trying to record cassettes onto my computer, but have done so unsuccessfully. I am using an old RCA RP3503 portable recorder/cassette player and have a 3.5mm stereo minijack cable plugged into the cassette player through the headphone jack and the other end is plugged into the line-in (Blue jack) on the back of my desktop computer.

However, Audacity does not detect any sound when I try to record, yet I can hear the cassette through my computer speakers. I'm not sure if it's supposed to work like this, but my computer speakers themselves are not detecting the sound either; when I check the sound it's the stereo mix under the recording tab that is playing the cassette, but its sometimes the line in (Realtek High Definition Audio) that detects the sound too. On Audacity I changed the preferences so that I can enable the Sound Activated Recording preference, thinking that it will record the cassette playing on my computer, but it didn't work.

I have tried everything, from plugging in the stereo cable into the mic jack of my computer; plugging in the stereo cable into the mic jack of the cassette player rather than the headphone jack; changing the settings on my computer various times; and changing the settings on Audacity too, such as the playback, input, and output devices. I have also messed around with changing the default recording devices from the microphone to the line in and to the stereo mix (All are Realtek High Definition Audio) but all in vain. I have even fiddled around a bit with the Realtek HD Audio Manager and have matched its settings to fit accordingly to the settings on Audacity, but nothing seems to work.

It would really be appreciated if someone could help me out, thanks :)

P.S. It actually worked only once, for a couple of seconds, but it was only hissing and static noises. Hopefully this is enough information to help me out.
vantec

Re: Audacitiy won't detect sound from cassette

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am

Can you hear what's playing on the cassette deck if you plug headphones into the headphone socket on it? The first check should always be that you actually have a good signal on your output point.
PGA

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:45 am

For a start you don't want Sound Activated Recording on - so turn it off.

Secondly upgrade to the latest 2.0 release which has some bug fixes that were in the 1.3.x Beta series - you can get it from here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

And then work through this set of tutorials from the 2.0 manual: http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/man ... to_cd.html

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by vantec » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think that I found the problem, it was the cassette player itself that wasn't being cooperative. I tried it out with a different device and it worked perfectly, there were no issues.
vantec

Return to Windows