Won't stop recording off internal microphone!

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Won't stop recording off internal microphone!

Permanent link to this post Posted by bill_stickers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi there,

For the last 2 days I have successfully been recording from my turntables and mixer using a phono-to-jack lead.

However, this morning, I noticed the quality was extremely dodgy, and that we could hear ourselves talking in the background over the top of the music from the mixer! It seems as if the internal mic is not being disabled, even though something has been plugged into the microphone jack!

Is this a common problem with a solution? We have tweaked every setting we can see but nothing works.
bill_stickers

Re: Won't stop recording off internal microphone!

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 pm

If you plug a USB sound device like a USB headset or other USB Sound "thing," Windows will reassign sound devices to "help you." Do you use Skype or other conferencing package? Skype is famous for reconfiguring your machine to suit itself and then not always putting it all back when it was done. Skype is going to require your built-in microphone.

You should be able to pick a specific audio input with the toolbar next to the Audacity microphone symbol. It may be set for Built-In-Microphone instead of Stereo Line-In. I'm making up those names, but you get the idea. You might need to restart Audacity if you make a change here. You "shouldn't" need to. If that fails, go into Audacity > Preferences > Devices and make sure the right thing is selected there.

Are you on a laptop? How exactly did you connect your mixer to your computer? Generally, plugging the mixer Line-Out into the computer Mic-In doesn't work all that well because of serious mismatches.

Scroll down to "Connections."

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/wind ... rding.html

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bill_stickers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 pm

We are recording off a laptop, and in the sound settings under the recording tab, 'microphone array' can be enabled, but 'microphone/line in' is permenantly 'unplugged' even though it is not and cannot be enabled/set to default.

Have we fried it, because it is a microphone in and not a line-in?
bill_stickers

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:55 am

No, you probably have not damaged it, it just usually doesn't work very well. It records left channel of your stereo show only and overloads to produce crunchy, crackly sound very easily. If you have been using it all along and you're happy, then you should keep doing that.

You can add a good quality, high level stereo input to almost any laptop with that UCA-202 thing. It's pretty simple and it usually works well. We use several of them around the company and I own one. A variation is the UFO-202 which has a phonograph amplifier built in. It's a bit more money.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows