Can't Open/Import WMA files (SOLVED)

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Can't Open/Import WMA files (SOLVED)

Permanent link to this post Posted by davebarabas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:19 am

I assumed I would be able to Open or Import WMA files if FFmpeg libraries were installed... is this not the case? Whenever I try, an error pops up. Log shows something like "23:17:00: Error: FFmpeg : avcodec_find_decoder() failed. Index[00], Codec[15029 - ]" even though under Edit Preferences Libraries the FFmpeg library looks like it's there. Machine is 64-bit Win7. Thanks for any help that's offered!
davebarabas

Re: Can't Open/Import WMA files

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 pm

If you have FFMpeg installed correctly, it will let you Export advanced formats. Generate a three second tone or any short clip and try to export it as AAC or M4A or other advanced format. If you do not actually have FFMpeg, the export will fail.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by davebarabas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 am

I generated a 30 second "chirp" and successfully exported it to a .wma file... now what? since it worked, and i was able to play it back as a .wma in media player, does that mean FFmpeg is installed correctly, and there is some other reason i can't *import* a .wma file?

just as an example, i tried to import a yellowjackets song that is in wma format (originally ripped from a CD i have using media player). the error message that pops up, ""J:\IomegaMusic\More Music\Yellowjackets\Run for Your Life\04 The Red Sea.wma" is a Windows Media Audio file. Audacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions. You need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."

if it matters, these are the some of the attributes of the .wma file (from right-click-properties)... length 00:05:47, bit rate 977kbps, size 38.1 MB.

all i'd really like to do is import songs from my collection and make mp3 disks i can play in my car. is that too much to ask? haha

Thanks for any help!

Dave
davebarabas

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 am

Look in the "Rip Music" tab on Windows Media Player Tools > Options. If you copy protected the files, then only Windows Media Player will play them. In that case, burn the WMA file to a CD using Windows Media Player then rip the CD track back to WAV or unprotected WMA (not any of the Pro or Lossless WMA options because FFmpeg only supports WMA v2). Ripping to WMA Variable Bit Rate may or may not work.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:06 am

davebarabas wrote:I generated a 30 second "chirp" and successfully exported it to a .wma file... now what? since it worked, and i was able to play it back as a .wma in media player, does that mean FFmpeg is installed correctly, and there is some other reason i can't *import* a .wma file?

Yes that means that you have FFmpeg installed correctly and it is working.
WMA is a proprietary Microsoft format, and from time to time they change the format so that it won't work with non-Microsoft software (as they do with their Office document formats). FFmpeg has partial support of WMA but some variants of WMA files may not be supported. DRM (copy protection) encoded WMA files are not supported.
Microsoft have threatened legal action against anyone trying to reverse engineer several of their current formats, which make many developers less keen to support such formats.

You may be able to convert the files using Switch, dBPoerAmp, SUPER or other standalone converter, or you may be able to burn them to disk directly from Windows Media Player (I don't use WMP so I can't help with that).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by davebarabas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 am

Gale Andrews wrote:... rip the CD track back to WAV or unprotected WMA (not any of the Pro or Lossless WMA options because FFmpeg only supports WMA v2). Ripping to WMA Variable Bit Rate may or may not work.

Bingo. I changed the rip settings from Windows Media Audio Lossless, Best Quality to just plain Windows Media Audio and 192kbps under audio quality, threw in a Fleetwood Mac CD I haven't ripped yet, and Audacity imported it just fine... thanks for the tips! Well, it doesn't help with making CD's for the car from what I've ripped in the past, but at least I now *know* why my cuurent files wouldn't import!

Dave
davebarabas

Permanent link to this post Posted by davebarabas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:58 am

steve wrote:You may be able to convert the files using Switch, dBPoerAmp, SUPER or other standalone converter, or you may be able to burn them to disk directly from Windows Media Player (I don't use WMP so I can't help with that).

Thanks for pointing out dbPoweramp - it's not free but I'll give the 21 day trial a whirl... from what is illustrated on their website, looks like just the tool I need (and would be worth the purchase)! And, no, I can't use Windows Media Player to burn my current libraries to MP3.

Dave
davebarabas

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 pm

davebarabas wrote: I changed the rip settings from Windows Media Audio Lossless, Best Quality to just plain Windows Media Audio

You'll get better sound quality if you change the settings to WAV.

Also, if your previous files were "Windows Media Audio Lossless", Microsoft supply a free "Windows Media Audio Lossless to WAV" converter: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=22391
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:43 am

davebarabas wrote:
steve wrote:You may be able to convert the files using Switch, dBPoerAmp, SUPER or other standalone converter, or you may be able to burn them to disk directly from Windows Media Player (I don't use WMP so I can't help with that).

Thanks for pointing out dbPoweramp - it's not free but I'll give the 21 day trial a whirl

If you only want the CD ripper, converter (without MP3 encoding) and shell integration, it's free.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Re: Can't Open/Import WMA files (SOLVED)

Permanent link to this post Posted by davebarabas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:55 pm

steve wrote:Also, if your previous files were "Windows Media Audio Lossless", Microsoft supply a free "Windows Media Audio Lossless to WAV" converter: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=22391

WMAL 2 WAV converter works like a charm... ran a couple hundred songs through it last night, and converted them to MP3 with Audacity (Multiple Export) - Voila - MP3 data disk to play in the car. Good stuff!

Dave
davebarabas

Return to Windows