Error while opening sound device

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 am

Hello,

I'm new here and felt the need to register to get assistance. I'm currently having this exact problem. I've enabled Stereo Mix in the Control Panel and set it as my default recording device. However, I am still unable to record because Stereo Mix is detecting no sound whatsoever and Audacity 1.3 Beta gives me the "Error while opening sound device" message when I try and record with Stereo Mix.

I've been googling for a while and I've followed numerous guides and I still can't get it working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Walleye
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am
Operating System: Please select

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 am

Let's make sure you have the latest 1.3.14 Beta, Check for the "14" at Help > About Audacity. If you don't have 1.3.14, get it here:
http://audacityteam.org/download/beta_windows .

Then play some audio and look at "Stereo Mix" on the "Recording" tab of Sound in Windows (the same place you enabled it). Do you see the vertical meter for stereo mix bouncing up and down in green?



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:33 am

Gale Andrews wrote:Let's make sure you have the latest 1.3.14 Beta, Check for the "14" at Help > About Audacity. If you don't have 1.3.14, get it here:
http://audacityteam.org/download/beta_windows .

Then play some audio and look at "Stereo Mix" on the "Recording" tab of Sound in Windows (the same place you enabled it). Do you see the vertical meter for stereo mix bouncing up and down in green?



Gale

I've swapped 1.3.13 for 1.3.14, played audio and checked the green bars next to Stereo Mix, nothing happens. It's still not picking up sound. However, Audacity will now record when Stereo Mix is selected as the recording device, but that too isn't picking up the sound. I thought I might have accidentally muted it somewhere I wasn't meant to, so I went through all the options and unmuted it but it still won't recognise the sound being played.

EDIT: My mic stopped working which was preventing me, for some reason, from making Skype video calls. I couldn't work it out, so I did a system restore t oa few days ago and that now works. However, whatever I did to make Audacity not give me an error on Stereo Mix has now been undone... and it's still not picking up any sound anyway.
Walleye
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am
Operating System: Please select

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 am

Walleye wrote:I've swapped 1.3.13 for 1.3.14, played audio and checked the green bars next to Stereo Mix, nothing happens. It's still not picking up sound. However, Audacity will now record when Stereo Mix is selected as the recording device, but that too isn't picking up the sound. I thought I might have accidentally muted it somewhere I wasn't meant to, so I went through all the options and unmuted it but it still won't recognise the sound being played.

What audio device are you playing the sounds on? The "stereo mix" input (if it is for the inbuilt sound device) will only record audio playing on the built-in (non-digital) playback device.

Walleye wrote:EDIT: My mic stopped working which was preventing me, for some reason, from making Skype video calls. I couldn't work it out, so I did a system restore t oa few days ago and that now works. However, whatever I did to make Audacity not give me an error on Stereo Mix has now been undone... and it's still not picking up any sound anyway.

Muting the stereo mix should not give "error opening" in Audacity. Disabling stereo mix will give the error if stereo mix is still listed as an input in the Audacity Device Toolbar.

If you don't have correct drivers for the sound device, made by the motherboard or computer manufacturer in the case of a built-in device, then anything can happen. See: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updat ... ce_Drivers .

If you have already made sure you have correct drivers and are still stuck, please upload images of the "Recording" tab of "Sound" in Windows and also the "Playback" tab, after having enabled all the inputs and outputs. ALT + PrtScr gives you an image of just the current window. You can use "Upload attachment" underneath where you post.



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:28 am

Gale Andrews wrote:What audio device are you playing the sounds on? The "stereo mix" input (if it is for the inbuilt sound device) will only record audio playing on the built-in (non-digital) playback device.

I'm using the only audio device I have the option of playing the sounds on - the Speakers. There are no other options listed under "Playback".

Gale Andrews wrote:Muting the stereo mix should not give "error opening" in Audacity. Disabling stereo mix will give the error if stereo mix is still listed as an input in the Audacity Device Toolbar.

If you don't have correct drivers for the sound device, made by the motherboard or computer manufacturer in the case of a built-in device, then anything can happen. See: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Updat ... ce_Drivers .

If you have already made sure you have correct drivers and are still stuck, please upload images of the "Recording" tab of "Sound" in Windows and also the "Playback" tab, after having enabled all the inputs and outputs. ALT + PrtScr gives you an image of just the current window. You can use "Upload attachment" underneath where you post.

I checked the drivers and I have the best ones available already installed, according the device manager. Stereo Mix still isn't picking up any sound, so I took the screenshots of the Playback and Recording tabs that you asked for.

playback.jpg
playback.jpg (107.35 KiB) Viewed 33880 times
recording.jpg
recording.jpg (124.47 KiB) Viewed 33880 times
Walleye
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am
Operating System: Please select

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:51 am

Who is the "Driver provider" of the Realtek device according to Device Manager? If it is Microsoft, you need to do searching for drivers.

What program are you trying to play audio in (for example, Internet Explorer)? Right-click over the speaker icon by the clock > Open Volume Mixer. You will see an output slider for that program. Is the slider turned up enough? Is the input slider for stereo mix turned up enough (right-click over it > Properties, then Levels tab).

If none of that helps, can you click the Windows globe then click "Control Panel". Is there a control panel for Realtek in the "Sound" section. If so, please post an image of it (if the recording side is separate, post an image of the recording side).

What version of Windows exactly, and what is the make and model number of the computer?


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by PGA » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:09 am

Walleye wrote:EDIT: My mic stopped working which was preventing me, for some reason, from making Skype video calls. I couldn't work it out, so I did a system restore t oa few days ago and that now works. However, whatever I did to make Audacity not give me an error on Stereo Mix has now been undone... and it's still not picking up any sound anyway.

F.A.O those trying to help Walleye,
Based solely on what I have read here on the forum whilst monitoring the topics to learn more about Audacity, it seems that Skype is a known "trouble-maker" in that it takes total control of the sound environment. Nobody has mentioned Skype in any of the replies since Walleye posted this snippet. Is the use of Skype part of problem?
PGA
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Who is the "Driver provider" of the Realtek device according to Device Manager? If it is Microsoft, you need to do searching for drivers.

According to Device Manager, the drivers are provided by "Realtek Semiconductor Corp".

Gale Andrews wrote:What program are you trying to play audio in (for example, Internet Explorer)? Right-click over the speaker icon by the clock > Open Volume Mixer. You will see an output slider for that program. Is the slider turned up enough? Is the input slider for stereo mix turned up enough (right-click over it > Properties, then Levels tab).

I'm trying to record audio from Internet Explorer. The volume slider for it is the same as it is for speakers. I don't see a slider for Stereo Mix, but this comes and goes. It's been there before, but at the time of posting it's not there.

Gale Andrews wrote:If none of that helps, can you click the Windows globe then click "Control Panel". Is there a control panel for Realtek in the "Sound" section. If so, please post an image of it (if the recording side is separate, post an image of the recording side).

Realtek.jpg
Realtek.jpg (205.04 KiB) Viewed 33875 times


Gale Andrews wrote:What version of Windows exactly, and what is the make and model number of the computer?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop.
Walleye
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am
Operating System: Please select

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 am

PGA wrote:
Walleye wrote:EDIT: My mic stopped working which was preventing me, for some reason, from making Skype video calls. I couldn't work it out, so I did a system restore t oa few days ago and that now works. However, whatever I did to make Audacity not give me an error on Stereo Mix has now been undone... and it's still not picking up any sound anyway.

F.A.O those trying to help Walleye,
Based solely on what I have read here on the forum whilst monitoring the topics to learn more about Audacity, it seems that Skype is a known "trouble-maker" in that it takes total control of the sound environment. Nobody has mentioned Skype in any of the replies since Walleye posted this snippet. Is the use of Skype part of problem?

Thanks for the reminder. Yes it could be that Skype is messing around, though when I last used Skype 18 months ago on Win XP it did not interfere with Audacity recording stereo mix (or anything else) as long as a call was not in progress.

@Walleye: You have a "later" Realtek sound panel and I don't think there is anything you can do in there except make stereo mix the default device (as you had it before).

If the stereo mix slider in "Sound" comes and goes I have no confidence in the sound device working properly. I suggest you make sure you have the following "6.0.1.6141" Audio Driver from Acer:
http://tinyurl.com/3legwhj

If you already have it, it does no harm to reinstall it.

Do I take it you use an external mic for Skype? I see you have "microphone" set as "Default Communication Device" in "Sound" which I would say is correct (in theory).

You could if you wished show us the Skype Audio Preferences, though I have little knowledge of Skype. If Skype is necessary for you and it is the reason for the problem then you could look for other solutions like Total Recorder (not free) or Freecorder (records in the web browser to MP3) or (if you can) download the content you are trying to record.



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26089
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 am

Gale Andrews wrote:If the stereo mix slider in "Sound" comes and goes I have no confidence in the sound device working properly. I suggest you make sure you have the following "6.0.1.6141" Audio Driver from Acer:
http://tinyurl.com/3legwhj

If you already have it, it does no harm to reinstall it.

The slider is always present in "sound", that was my mistake. Where there slider comes and goes is the audio mixer on the speaker icon in the system tray by the clock. Sometimes Stereo Mix is there, sometimes it isn't - either way it still doesn't detect sound. I checked my drivers again and the device manager lists the same "6.0.1.6141" version you have linked to.

Gale Andrews wrote:Do I take it you use an external mic for Skype? I see you have "microphone" set as "Default Communication Device" in "Sound" which I would say is correct (in theory).

I use the mic built into my laptop, though I rarely ever do audio calls. I wanted to show a friend an item in my room, and Skype automatically cancelled the video call saying there was a problem with my mic, even though I had no plans on using it and I had it muted for the call anyway. The skype problems are now fixed and can be disregarded.
Walleye
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:02 am
Operating System: Please select

PreviousNext

Return to Windows



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests