Error while opening sound device

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Error while opening sound device

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:07 am

Walleye wrote:The slider is always present in "sound", that was my mistake. Where there slider comes and goes is the audio mixer on the speaker icon in the system tray by the clock. Sometimes Stereo Mix is there, sometimes it isn't - either way it still doesn't detect sound.

The Volume Mixer should only have playback devices, not inputs. I would expect to see internet explorer there when it is playing audio.

Walleye wrote:I checked my drivers again and the device manager lists the same "6.0.1.6141" version you have linked to.

I think you could still consider reinstalling the same drivers, if not now then later. If that caused stereo mix to work but not Skype, then you can see what the tradeoffs are.

Walleye wrote:I use the mic built into my laptop, though I rarely ever do audio calls. I wanted to show a friend an item in my room, and Skype automatically cancelled the video call saying there was a problem with my mic, even though I had no plans on using it and I had it muted for the call anyway. The skype problems are now fixed and can be disregarded.

Up to you, but it "may" be possible if we see Skype's audio preferences to find settings that work better. For example, you could make the mic default device in Windows instead of or as well as default communication device. We often recommend making stereo mix the Windows default if you want to record from it, but if the audio device drivers work properly that should not actually be necessary as long as you choose stereo mix explicitly in Audacity.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Walleye » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I think you could still consider reinstalling the same drivers, if not now then later. If that caused stereo mix to work but not Skype, then you can see what the tradeoffs are.

I reinstalled the drivers and Stereo Mix is now picking up sound and I can record, which is weird. Thank you for all your help!
Walleye

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 am

Walleye wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:I think you could still consider reinstalling the same drivers, if not now then later. If that caused stereo mix to work but not Skype, then you can see what the tradeoffs are.

I reinstalled the drivers and Stereo Mix is now picking up sound and I can record, which is weird.

Great :)

You may want to set a Restore Point if you have not already.

It's possible this may break again next time you use Skype. If it does, it would be an idea then to show us the Skype audio preferences.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by sgreatwood » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:02 pm

We've been having this error quite a bit on the 32 bit Windows 7 installation on a 250 copy Lenovo X230 rollout. It's been totally inconsistent but a major issue. The root cause still has not been rectified but a 13 year old showed me this trick which has worked successfully where multiple-reboots have not. I've had a programmer friend have a look at the function to see if he could work out what's going on but he couldn't get far enough through to get an answer. Seems to be re-initialising the WASAPI interface/drivers which haven't loaded properly.

Give it a go.

Simon Greatwood

audio fix 1.png
audio fix 1.png (18.37 KiB) Viewed 38988 times
audio fix 2.png
audio fix 2.png (30.89 KiB) Viewed 38988 times
sgreatwood

Operating System: Please select

Previous

Return to Windows