Multichannel recording

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Multichannel recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by Crackerjack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:44 am

Hey guys. I've had a very frustrating day, I've borrowed a mates audio interface (a Tascam US-1641 to be exact) and I've been installing the drivers and attempting to get it to record in multiple channels on audacity. Now I've seen many other posts on this forum where people are having trouble recording multiple tracks at once, and I seem to have the same problem. Imputs 1 and 2 on my audio interface will record into a left and right sterio channel respectively, but I can't get channels 3 to 16 to record a damn thing, even if I unplug 1 and 2.

I was reading the section on multichannel recording on the audacity wiki, which suggested that the audio interface I have is capable of recording 16 tracks.

"Tascam US-1641 (requires USB2.0 ports on the computer) - Reported that only 2 channels available in Audacity with 2.xx drivers under Windows 7 but 16 channels available using older drivers under XP. " (quoted from http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Multi ... _Recording)

I've tried downloading a 2008 driver for the interface which was for the xp, but still no luck recording multiple channels simultaneously. What I'm not quite clear on, is if I need an XP driver for the Audio interface, or whether I need the old xp driver for audacity, the site doesn't really make it clear.

I'd hate to think that my interface has potential for multichannel recording on audacity, and I'm just too tech stupid to figure it out, can someone please help me, perhaps link me to a driver download that might work, or even just tell me why it will or won't record multiple channels and suggest things that I can do?
Crackerjack

Re: Multichannel recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:36 am

We did write about this. It's up in Hardware.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38626

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Crackerjack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:38 am

I've come across that but still can't really find what I'm looking for. That thread offers a lot of general knowledge which would be useful to most but I'm not very familiar with all of this equipment so I was wondering if someone could tell me specifically what to do with my setup
Crackerjack

Permanent link to this post Posted by twindelphine » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi, I am posting here as I am having the same issue with recording via multiple channels. I have a USB headphone and a line-in cable that I can connect to the microphone jack. But I'm having problems to getting the audio from 2 sources at once. I'm using Windows 7 with IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and Intel Display Audio (showing both as I do not know which is the correct one).
twindelphine

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:31 pm

But I'm having problems to getting the audio from 2 sources at once.

Unless your sources are two USB microphones set to Aggregate Device, you can't get there. Audacity and most Windows machines will not record from two different sources at the same time. You in particular will have a hard time even getting stereo because the Pink Mic-In connection is mono.

Scroll down to "Connections."

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/wind ... rding.html

The step from mono podcast to multi-channel is the big one. That's the upgrade where you usually have to buy mixers and higher end microphones.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:39 pm

I was wondering if someone could tell me specifically what to do with my setup

We'd be looking it up just like you. It's complicated because that's a discontinued model.

It's possible that multi-channel operation depends on ASIO software support. Audacity doesn't come with ASIO. It can be added, but you have to be willing to learn how to recompile the Audacity program.

The US-1641 comes with Cubase LE4, Steinberg's latest version of the 48-track, 96kHz recording workstation, so you'll be ready to cut tracks right away. The US-1641 installs ASIO and Core Audio drivers for Windows XP, Windows Vista 32 and Mac OS X,

So there's your system. You need either native ASIO support or the Steinberg Cubase LE4 program that comes with the device.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 pm

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mg1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I have a Tascam US-1800 interface. It is a similar setup: USB, 16 channel, w/current Tascam v2.02 driver. Windows XP sp3 platform. Audacity v1.3.14. I experienced the same thing: it shows the Tascam US-1800 for record and playback, but only offers mono and stereo record options.

The previous version of Audacity, v1.2.6, on the same computer showed all 16 input channels. I really like the ability to correct latency in the new version of Audacity, but unfortunately it now doesn't show more than two record channels. I reported it as a bug today.
mg1

Return to Windows