Recording Vocal over Instrumental

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Recording Vocal over Instrumental

Permanent link to this post Posted by Audacity_Pimp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 am

How do I record vocals while an instrumental is playing, but keep them as separate tracks?

I Imported an instrumental and When I press record to record my vocal, it opens a new track but records the vocal and the instrumental together....Thats not what I want.

I want to be able to play the instrumental, while I record my vocals, But I want the vocal only in the new track....so I can add effects or what ever.

How do I record vocals while an instrumental is playing, but keep them as separate tracks?
Audacity_Pimp

Re: Recording Vocal over Instrumental

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:21 pm

You can get composite recordings like that if you have Windows set to record what's playing on the computer instead of a standard input device like Line-In or Mike-In. That's the setting needed to record internet music and shows, but is wrong for personal recording.

Windows Control panels > Sound and set it to record from your microphone or sound device instead of Mix-Out, Stereo-Out or What-U-Hear.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Re: Recording Vocal over Instrumental

Permanent link to this post Posted by Audacity_Pimp » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I figured out the problem....I have one of those cheap headphone Microphones with the wire mic attached to the head phones that you can bend to adjust how close it is to your mouth. So when I was recording....I had the Mic to close to my mouth, and the mic was able to pic up the instrumental playing through my head phones.

So instead I plugged in my noise canceling head phones and wore those, and just held the microphone part of the headset...this time about 6 inches away from my mouth.

This is good enough for now.....But I will buy a better usb mic without headphones attached to it...probably the samson co1u....I hear that give you voice the best overall sound for rapping....which is what I'm using it for.

Are there any other tips so the mic can't pic up sound from your headphones??? Cause I can still hear the mic picking up the instrumental through my headphones a tad bit....barley hear it , but very faintly????
Audacity_Pimp

Return to Windows