Audacity recording levels too low.

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Audacity recording levels too low.

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kaleopolitus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 pm

http://puu.sh/auDm

Here's a link to what it looks like.

I am trying to record my played sound (Like, recording a skype call for example) with audacity. My problems lie with the volume, despite having my sound at the 'the neighbours won't like this...' level and having the recording slider all the way to the right, as should be visible on the image, audacity still records everything like a whisper.

The image should serve the veteran users to show exactly how soft audacity records

I've looked around for the past hour but I haven't found a way to solve this problem.

What I specifically want is for audacity to record everything louder, as it stands now some things are not even being recorded at all. I could up the sound levels in post recording, but honestly, I think that needing to do that and the added consequences is ridiculous.

Please mind that I am using speakers and a headset microphone at this moment. If that helps in any way.

Good luck finding an answer, and thanks ahead of time ^_^
Kaleopolitus

Re: Audacity recording levels too low.

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:00 pm

What have you selected as our input source? (See this page.)

I am trying to record my played sound...
Some soundcards/drivers simply don't support recording "What-U-Hear" from your computer speakers. You can always record from the mic input, and from line-in (assuming your computer/soundcard has line-in). If your system doesn't support "What-U-Hear", there are a couple of special-purpose programs that can get around this limitation.

What verson of Windows are you running? (You may have to open the Windows recording mixer, make sure you have selected the correct input, that the volume slider for that input is turned-up, and that the master recording volume is turned-up.)

Skype can be tricky, since you need to record both sides of the conversation. I'm not even sure if it's possible with Audacity... someone else will have to help with that.
DVDdoug

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kaleopolitus » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:09 pm

It /does/ actually record. Just at extremely low levels. If what I am hearing through my speakers is a ten, than what it actually records is a 1-2. It records like it's whispers.

I'm running Windows 7 and am sure that all the right devices are selected. It does record after all, only at too low a sound level. All I want is to up that sound level to make it ... Understandable for normal humans and not just human-bat hybrids.
Kaleopolitus

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't use Win 7, but I suspect the problem may be a setting in the "Recording" section of the "Sounds" settings in the Windows Control Panel.
You may get some clues from this page: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer ... _Issues#cp
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kaleopolitus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Didn't help me. Again, I really just want to know where I can have Audacity record at a louder decibell rating.
Kaleopolitus

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kaleopolitus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Bump.

Again, I really just want to know where I can have Audacity record at a louder decibell rating without increasing the actual sound level that is being outputted.
Kaleopolitus

Permanent link to this post Posted by Backbeat » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Kaleopolitus,

I am a recent new user to Audacity and I have the same problem.

What input device are you recording from? I am recording from an LP turntable through a pre-amp into a USB port on my Windows 7 laptop. I get a little broader bands on the chart than you, but not much. Also there is an electronic hum in the background.

I am continuing to research options - if I find a solution I will post it here. Please do the same if you find a solution!
Backbeat

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:49 pm

Kaleopolitus wrote:I really just want to know where I can have Audacity record at a louder decibell rating without increasing the actual sound level that is being outputted.

Thank you for the clarification - the details make all the difference.
When you record from "Stereo Mix" (as shown in your linked image), the recording "input" signal is taken from the sound card output rather than one of the physical input sockets. The recording level is therefore dependent on the level of the audio playing out through the sound card. If the output of the sound card is muted, then there is no output from the sound card and therefore no "Stereo Mix" input signal. If the output of the sound card is at a low level then the "Stereo Mix" input signal will be a low level. To get a high recording level from Stereo Mix, the output from the sound card needs to be quite high. In order to avoid complaints from neighbours it may be necessary to attach some computer speakers that have a volume control so that you can turn down the volume on the speakers.

Backbeat wrote:I am a recent new user to Audacity and I have the same problem.

You have a different problem. You are recording from an LP turntable through a pre-amp into a USB port on your Windows 7 laptop. Kaleopolitus is recording sounds that are playing on his computer using a VIA HD Audio on board sound card. Please start a new topic so that your problem can be addressed without confusing it with this problem.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to Windows