Blue Yeti - Win Settings Problem?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Blue Yeti - Win Settings Problem?

Permanent link to this post Posted by LawnGnome135 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello. I make Youtube videos and am constantly doing voice-overs, so having a quality sounding mic is important to me. I've had a Blue Snowflake, then Snowball, and now a Yeti, but something is wrong. Just before I got my Yeti, I noticed my Snowball mic was sounding really distorted for some reason. I thought it was just the mic, and that I was glad my Yeti was coming the next day, but it turns out it has the exact same problem. I recently bought Razer Orca headphones, and it seems the problem started right after that, so maybe something in my settings was changed? I do have the Realtek HD Audio manager, and wondered if that could cause the problem, but I tried playing around in those settings to no avail.

This is a video I recently did just to show you what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvmva75BodQ

One comment on my video was:
"But to me it sounds a bit harsh (wich could be just your voice) But definitely to heavy on the bass - Change the compression a bit or use a good EQ. Just play around a till it sounds natural but still "dominant" enough."

But I'm not sure how I'd do that on a Blue Mic.
LawnGnome135

Re: Blue Yeti - Win Settings Problem?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:27 pm

No, no, no. That's not a straight quality audio issue. Forget the equalizer.

I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like bad digitizing or other data error. There is a fine spray of harsh needles in back of each word of your speech.

Where would I go with that........? Is there any way to try this microphone on another computer? Can you try another -- different USB port?

Are you using a USB hub? Stop doing that immediately. Audio will not reliably go through a USB hub.

We have not been able to kill our Snowball, so no, I don't think you did, either.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 pm

(I can't watch your video 'cause I'm at work...)

What do your volume levels look like? Is the waveform hitting 1.0 & -1.0? Check your microphone boost.

What audio format & settings did you use? (With compressed formats, a higher audio-bitrate will give you better quality and a bigger file.)

And this might be dumb, but check the gain setting and the pattern setting (should generally be cardiod) on the Yeti, and make sure you're speaking into the correct side of the mic, not into the top/end.

Change the compression a bit or use a good EQ...

...But I'm not sure how I'd do that on a Blue Mic.
If you wish, you can use EQ & compression effects in Audacity after recording. These aren't always necessary, especially if you have a good recoding to start with. But, most pro recordings do have some EQ adjustment to fix-up the frequency balance, and some compression to get a good constantly-strong signal without clipping (distorting) the peaks.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by LawnGnome135 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:57 pm

kozikowski wrote:No, no, no. That's not a straight quality audio issue. Forget the equalizer.

I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds like bad digitizing or other data error. There is a fine spray of harsh needles in back of each word of your speech.

Where would I go with that........? Is there any way to try this microphone on another computer? Can you try another -- different USB port?

Are you using a USB hub? Stop doing that immediately. Audio will not reliably go through a USB hub.

We have not been able to kill our Snowball, so no, I don't think you did, either.

Koz

Well, it seems that this is only happening when I record my audio through Fraps, which is for screen recording. When I use Audacity, my audio sounds clearer. Maybe that's the problem?
LawnGnome135

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:11 pm

(I can't watch your video 'cause I'm at work...)

You have to hear it. It's not overload or flat-topping. It's perfectly clear recording overlayed with a fine mist of digitizing hash.

Well, it seems that this is only happening when I record my audio through Fraps,

If your capture both picture and sound on a computer that's not up to it, you could get digitizing errors. They don't always appear as dropped frames or holes in the audio. We're struggling with similar problems here.

No hub? That's a classic way to get hash problems like this.

It's insidious. Capture requires that the computer record and play picture and sound at the same time. That's not trivial. It more than doubles the stress on the machine processing.

Is the rest of the machine in perfect shape? Are you running anything else at the same time in the background, like email or a browser?

What are your Fraps settings?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by LawnGnome135 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:03 am

Well, it seems that this is only happening when I record my audio through Fraps,

If your capture both picture and sound on a computer that's not up to it, you could get digitizing errors. They don't always appear as dropped frames or holes in the audio. We're struggling with similar problems here.

No hub? That's a classic way to get hash problems like this.

It's insidious. Capture requires that the computer record and play picture and sound at the same time. That's not trivial. It more than doubles the stress on the machine processing.

Is the rest of the machine in perfect shape? Are you running anything else at the same time in the background, like email or a browser?

What are your Fraps settings?

Koz

Currently, my Fraps settings are Stereo with Yeti selected as external output, and recording at 30fps. When I am recording I don't have anything running in the background, but even then, I have a PC that I just built a year ago and can run everything on max (still have an on-board sound card though).
LawnGnome135

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Capture software never uses the sound in native format. It always resamples for maximum efficiency and small file sizes. We may be listening to the digitizing errors -- particularly if it's compressing at the same time. The capture software at work captures at 64 bps -- barely enough for stereo. A sore point with us because the pictures are actually an afterthought in this application.

You never said the English words: "I'm not going through a USB hub." This sounds exactly like one of the Systems people calling in to our videoconference system about a month back. His voice was "foggy" with a mist of digital artifacts and hash. He took the hub out and all the problems vanished. It was like he was standing there.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows