Export WAV in chain changes bit rate

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Export WAV in chain changes bit rate

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Audacity cannot batch convert the sample rate. If you require sample rate conversion you will need to use a different program (such as dBpoweramp or similar)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:00 am

steve wrote:Audacity cannot batch convert the sample rate. If you require sample rate conversion you will need to use a different program (such as dBpoweramp or similar)

Yes, unless the existing files you want to convert are already 8000 Hz you won't be able to use Chains to convert the sample rate.

You can import multiple files, change the project rate bottom left to 8000 Hz then File > Export Multiple and walk away (uncheck "Show Metadata Editor" in the Import / Export Preferences) . But you need a lot of disk space to do that, and other programs would be more convenient.

There is a reasonable chance that export bit rate, sample rate and/or additional formats will be added to Chains in the not too distant future. I'll treat Andy's request as a vote in favour.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Andreas Lindner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Dear Gale,

I would be very happy if you would send me an info, when you can send me a resulution for my problem. :)

For Steve:
WAV-Format before use Chain (ExportToWAV):
Bitrate= 64kBit/sec
8Bit/Mono/8KHz/PCM

WAV-Format after use Chain (ExportToWAV):
Bitrate= 128kBit/sec
8Bit/Mono/8KHz/PCM

I need WAV-Format after use Chain (ExportToWAV):
Bitrate= 64kBit/sec (the same as before)
8Bit/Mono/8KHz/PCM

(because the filesize after "ExportToWAV" is x2)

Andy
Andreas Lindner

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Andreas Lindner wrote:WAV-Format after use Chain (ExportToWAV):
Bitrate= 128kBit/sec
8Bit/Mono/8KHz/PCM

That does not make sense - where do you see that?

PCM audio is uncompressed audio, so the bit rate can be calculated as: <bits per sample> x <number of channels> x <samples per second>

For 8 bit mono 8 kHz, that works out as: 8 x 1 x 8000 = 64000 bits/second = 64 kb/s
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:01 am

Possibly Andy means that the files exported by the Chain are twice the required size and bit rate because they are 16-bit.

Andy, you would be able to batch convert much easier using dBPowerAmp ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm ) - it's free if you don't encode MP3's.

If you still want the Audacity build that supports Other Uncompressed Files I can give it to you, but it is an old version of Audacity as well as being experimental so you have to take your chances about that (though no-one has reported a problem with the extra Chain formats).

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Andreas Lindner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am

Dear Gale,

thank you ... yesterdey i've tested dbPowerAmp ... it work's.

For Steve:
Sorry, it was and copy/paste error:
chains every time exports "16bit wav" -> 16 x 1 x 8000 = 128000 bits/second = 128 kb/s

Thank you!
Andy
Andreas Lindner

Permanent link to this post Posted by aklamo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 am

I'm running into this same issue: I want to us a chain to perform certain tasks on wav files in ulaw and therefore need to be able to modify the parameters of the export in the chain.

Gale, are you still able to share the old 1.3.14 alpha version of Audacity or is there some other, better solution at this time?

Cheers!
Adam
aklamo

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

aklamo wrote:Gale, are you still able to share the old 1.3.14 alpha version of Audacity or is there some other, better solution at this time?

OK, I sent you a Private Message with details. As I explained there, all the patched build does is add a chain command for exporting as other uncompressed files, so you will have to set the parameters for that export type in the Export File dialogue before running the Chain.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by nostaller » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Dear Audacity Users,

I am using Audacity 2.0.3 on Mac and was happy about Nyquist plug-ins that can now be used in chain mode. Great !
But after installing the TrimExtend.ny plugin to add silence to wave files I wanted to create a chain command for this but unfortunately the exported wave files do not keep their original bit depth of 24bit wav (48khz is kept correctly) .

Is there any possibility to do an export in chain as 24bit wav files with the current version of audacity or any other audacity version, that does allow to include Nyquist plug-insin chain commands ?

Thanks a lot,
nostalle
nostaller

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 pm

nostaller wrote:Is there any possibility to do an export in chain as 24bit wav files with the current version of audacity or any other audacity version, that does allow to include Nyquist plug-insin chain commands ?

Currently the only way to export in 24 bit is to export as FLAC.
The FLAC options are not available through the Chains interface, so you will need to manually export a file as 24 bit FLAC before running the Chain with the FLAC export.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Windows