Export WAV in chain changes bit rate

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Export WAV in chain changes bit rate

Permanent link to this post Posted by awillkey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I want to slightly modify a large number of WAV files (change tempo). I created the chain. However, the "export WAV" creates files with a higher bit rate than the original. Is there a way to specify the bit rate of the new file to be the same as the old file?
Last edited by awillkey on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Resized text to normal
awillkey

Operating System: Please select

Re: Export WAV in chain changes bit rate

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am

awillkey wrote:I want to slightly modify a large number of WAV files (change tempo). I created the chain. However, the "export WAV" creates files with a higher bit rate than the original. Is there a way to specify the bit rate of the new file to be the same as the old file?

At the moment you can't configure export parameters for any file format in a chain.

For uncompressed PCM files like WAV, bit rate = (bit depth) x (sampling rate) x (number of channels).

The sample rate ("project rate" bottom left of the Audacity window) should change to reflect the original sample rate of the file being imported, and the number of channels should not change unless you are deliberately changing this in the chain. That only leaves the bit depth. "Export WAV" in the chain exports 16-bit, but you can't change the bit depth of WAV exports in a chain because there is no option to choose "Other Uncompressed Files" as an export format in a chain. If this is what you need (that is, your original files are 8-bit or 4-bit depth), post here and I can send you a patched unofficial build that has this feature.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by awillkey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 am

You have identified my problem. The wav files are 8bit (mono, 11025Hz). I would be grateful for a link to the patched version (I doubt you could email the program it to me if it is the same size as the unpatched version because the attachment would be too large for my email server). Or perhaps you only need ot send me a dll?

Alan
awillkey

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:47 pm

awillkey wrote:You have identified my problem. The wav files are 8bit (mono, 11025Hz). I would be grateful for a link to the patched version (I doubt you could email the program it to me if it is the same size as the unpatched version because the attachment would be too large for my email server). Or perhaps you only need ot send me a dll?

I have sent you a link to a replacement executable and instructions by Private Message.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by awillkey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:08 pm

Gale,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the executable will not run. I get the error message "This application has failed to start because wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll was not found." I would have replied to your private message but there seems to be no option for this.

Alan
awillkey

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm

awillkey wrote:Gale,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the executable will not run. I get the error message "This application has failed to start because wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll was not found." I would have replied to your private message but there seems to be no option for this.

Alan

What version of Windows are you on? The executable will run on Windows 2000 or later if you have the following dll's in your Audacity installation folder:
wxbase28u_net_vc_custom.dll
wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_adv_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_html_vc_custom.dll

Those dll's are shipped with Audacity 1.3.13 (Unicode) for Windows 2000 and later. So if needs be, (re)install 1.3.13 Unicode:
http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/au ... 1.3.13.exe

then run the replacement executable from within the folder you installed 1.3.13 to.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by awillkey » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:13 pm

My mistake. I put the executable into my audacity folder but now I realize it should have been the "Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicaode)" folder. Those dlls are in that folder but now the program just won't run. When I try to run it I first get "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software" warning from Vista and I click Run, then I get a new window pops up which says

"Audacity the Free Cross-Platform Sound Editor has stopped working
Windows can check for a solution to the problem.
Check online for a solution and close the program
Close the program
Debug the program

View problem details

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: audacity_1.3.14_alpha_FFmpeg_chain_exports.exe
Application Version: 1.3.14.0
Application Timestamp: 4df17b75
Fault Module Name: wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.8.11.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4d910057
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0004b417
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: cdc0
Additional Information 2: beb01ab61a70ba412a59fdd6097d1705
Additional Information 3: 2bbe
Additional Information 4: 093710cb42fdce4edc50a3440a34cbd1

Alan
awillkey

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:43 am

awillkey wrote:I put the executable into my audacity folder but now I realize it should have been the "Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicaode)" folder. Those dlls are in that folder but now the program just won't run. When I try to run it I first get "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software" warning from Vista and I click Run, then I get a new window pops up which says

"Audacity the Free Cross-Platform Sound Editor has stopped working

OK - sorry about that. I can repeat the problem if I add the replacement executable to a folder containing 1.3.13 Beta but not if I add it to a folder containing 1.3.14 apha. I verified the latter worked too on a Win 7 computer other than my build machine. So, download 1.3.14 alpha here:
http://www.gaclrecords.org.uk/audacity- ... -alpha.zip

Extract the files from the zip where you like ( it doesn't remove your current Beta installation ), then paste the "FFmpeg_chain_exports" version of 1.3.14 alpha into the folder you unzpped into and run the "FFmpeg_chain_exports" version.

I'll do another build as a complete zip presently but you should be able to work with the above solution.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by awillkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks. This now works and does create wav files in 8bit. Thanks for your help.

Alan
awillkey

Permanent link to this post Posted by stevetel007 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 pm

I have the same problem. I have to export files all the time as WAV 8 bit for phone systems menus and music on hold. May I also get the fix?
stevetel007

Next

Return to Windows