Multitrack recording with ZOOM R16

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Multitrack recording with ZOOM R16

Permanent link to this post Posted by Fleischmann » Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 am

Dear Gale,

Thanks for your reply!

I am very surprised to hear conversion from wav to mp3 adds strange time periods not to be expected by the user. I must confess to some extent in the past I faintly suspected the clock reliability of the recording system as a whole when getting in trouble with trying to synchronize my different recorded and played back tracks in audacity.

Two weeks ago I downloaded the R16 manual from the ZOOM homepage. Overdubbing is a special paragraph. Doing so I don't need to change track format. I never doubted a "R16 project" is synchronized properly. Just the transport of all the different tracks into audacity without breaking the coincidence of the tracks for edition of each track appears misty to me.

To gather the more knowledge about the stuff clears up the thought. After having had my first steps to work with the R16 I will drop a short note about getting on.

Again many thanks to all of you for discussion!

By the way I changed from audacity 1.3.13 ANSI to the UNICODE version.

Dieter
Fleischmann

Permanent link to this post Posted by Fleischmann » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi,

I promised to be back when I got my ZOOM R16 to report how to create overdubbed recordings. This task is quite simple, as R16 starts the counter of the first track to record at time 0.000s and creates a corresponding wav file. To start the next track to record (together with the corresponding next wav file) just go back to this start time. The R16 project collects all overdubbed recorded files, and they all start at the very same time 0.000s, with millisecond accuracy. Importing the files (one after another) in one and the same audacity project, cursor position at start time, gives the correct ensemble play of all files.

I am very happy my problem of multitrack recording is solved by using R16 and I can continue to use the excellent facilities of audacity for editing every single file.

Dieter
Fleischmann

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Thank you very much for the feedback and I'm pleased for your success.
I'll move this topic to the "Recording Equipment" section of the forum where it may be more easily found by others that are seeking information about multi-track recording with ZOOM R16.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Recording Equipment