Best way to Amplify and then Normalize all my MP3 Playlists

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Best way to Amplify and then Normalize all my MP3 Playli

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm

mr coolvibe wrote:The Sound check feature on my both of my 5th and 6th gen Ipods does nothing really,

You may not be using it correctly.
You need to scan the files and save the changes first so that the "Sound Check Level" is added to the file metadata, then when you play the track Sound Check knows how loud to play it.

Sound Check can work with .mp3, .AAC, .wav, and .aiff file types.
Hopefully Apple will have included instructions with your iPod.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes Steve, I do have the manual for my Ipods, but there is only a sound check On/Off option avail, no option to scan files in Ipod, I believe this is all automatically done when new Mp3s are synced and added to Ipods. I tried and tried to use this feature, even when I was using Itunes, the volumes were still not matched that well, and Ipod Sound check really brings the majority of song volumes way too low for me.
I know there are options to scan all files in Itunes itself, but I gave up on Itunes long ago, just too many problems, especially if most of your songs are not purchased specifically in their Itunes store, so I have been using Media Monkey last couple years, just so much easier and better.

Do you think Replaygain could possibly work at least a little bit better with my Volume matching problem along Audacity and Media Monkey? Thanks
mr coolvibe

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Some sounds can have a high peak "amplitude" (vertical height of the peaks) but not sound particularly loud, while on the other hand, some sounds can have a much lower peak amplitude but sound much louder.

Both Sound Check and ReplayGain purposefully set the playback level to a moderate amount so as to allow room for the quiet tracks with high peaks to play at a similar loudness to other tracks without causing distortion of the peaks.

If the sound is too quiet with Sound Check/ReplayGain enabled, turn up the volume on your iPod.

Apple intend that iPod users use iTunes.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Yep yep , I hear ya, Ipods are intended to be used with Itunes, but since I hate Itunes, I am looking for an Ipod alternative, the only main reason I like Ipods is that they are much more portable than a tablet etc, but mainly, because they have a very cool feature of Auto Crossfading all my Ipod party playlists songs like a DJ, to me, this is one of the best features ever. My Sansa Clip player does not have this feature yet. So here I lie stuck with Apple Ipods for the time being.

I still would like to at least try that REPLAYGAIN option, how do I enable, or get it to work in to Audacity? Thks!
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Audacity does not support ReplayGain (or Sound Check).

The closest thing that it has is an experimental plug-in that attempts to adjust the volume of the selected tracks so that they sound about the same loudness. The algorithm that this plug-in uses is based on ReplayGain, but unlike ReplayGain it changes the actual amplitude of the selected tracks (not just the metadata) so as Koz wrote back at the start of this topic you immediately run into the issue that processing MP3 files with Audacity first decodes them into uncompressed audio data, then if you require MP3 as the final format, the exported file must be re-encoded into MP3 format. Re-encoding an MP3 reduces the sound quality.

The plug-in will reduce the level of loud tracks, so don't expect the processed tracks to be loud - they will have a moderate loudness.

If you want to try the plug-in, it is available here: viewtopic.php?p=167758#p167758
Please read the notes about usage before attempting to use the plug-in.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 pm

Ok will do Steve, can at least look into that for the time being. Thanks!
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Update. I did try that Replaygain plugin in Audacity, tested at various db levels. You guys were right, To get lower volume songs at any really noticeable louder level, resulted in Horrendous sounding outcome for my tested Mp3s. Only way to get rid of all the loud clipping noises etc, was to reduce the levels so low, that there was not really any noticeable difference using the plugin. Really wish Audacity developers would give these very important volume match levels some attention , but so far it is a deal killer for me, but really wanted to keep using Audacity, but just cannot take the varying volume levels etc.
Thanks for the help!
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert J. H. » Fri May 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Sorry, but you seem to have a Basic misunderstanding of Audacity and Music in General.
The replay gain effect works nearly equally to other algorithms of its type. The only difference is that it is applied permanently to the wave form, not just a number in the Header of a mp3 file.
I've got the Impression that you're rather looking for a compression or limiter effect that brings your tracks up in volume -at least the quietest ones.
The replay gain would work fine if not some mastering engineers would deliberately cheat and mix their material such that their Songs will get the highest volume because of a low calculated replay gain.
Besides, You can try the foobar2000 Player alternatively to Analyse the mp3s.
It is very convenient because the menu is in the context menu and there are different Actions you can apply. It scans in all the files in the playlist if you wish so.
The Advantage is that you do not have to decode the mp3 to Change the replay gain.
Robert J. H.

Operating System: Windows 7

Previous

Return to Windows