Best way to Amplify and then Normalize all my MP3 Playlists

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Best way to Amplify and then Normalize all my MP3 Playlists

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:53 pm

Hello, I am fairly new too Audacity Beta 1.3.1.2 , using windows XP on pc, after reading through forum, did not find much current info on this, and also reading Audacity and Wiki articles on this subject Amplifying and Normalizing , still trying to confirm the best way to do this and how. I am hoping to (Batch Amplify and then Batch Normalize) all my existing Itune playlists MP3 songs that I have pulled from various MP3 sources online, and hopefully can maintain their same play order as in Itunes, bringing all songs to the Same or closest, and loudest, and best sounding levels without or at least little distortion, any way to do this on all my Itunes playlists with Audacity Beta?? And if desired to Amplify all songs up my approx 10-20 percent, approx by how many Decibels should I do?? How is this done with Audacity Chain Option?

I have many playlists in my Itunes and 5th gen Ipod that I play and use frequently, but songs come in various levels, some very loud and clear, and some very low, the ones too low are the ones I want to Eliminate . I would really like them all to play as loud and clear as possible. Have already tried a couple other programs like MP3 Gain etc to normalize, but with little difference, plus after MP3 Gain, I had more very low sounding songs after just normalizing, that's why was hoping to Amplify all songs first, and then Normalize them to sound still very loud but equal as possible.Please advise and Thanks again for any suggested help!!!!
mr coolvibe

Operating System: Please select

Re: Best way to Amplify and then Normalize all my MP3 Playli

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 pm

I would really like them all to play as loud and clear as possible.

I'd make the iPod do it.

For example:

iTunes > Preferences > Playback > [X] Sound Check (Automatically adjust song playback volume to the same level.)

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Audacity does not edit MP3 files. It converts MP3 music to an internal format and then makes a whole new MP3 at the end. This doubles the compression sound damage or increases the file size. Sometimes both.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Ok, thanks for the feedback Koz, already using that Normalize feature with Itunes and Ipod, but it is just another Apple Co. gimmick, apparently this feature only really works for my few songs purchased from Itunes only to be really effective, which I have never been impressed by their selection or price, so I get my songs from various sources like Amazon, Etunes youtube etc. Wow, I really thought that Audacity Beta could help me out in some way to accomplish the correct way to get the Amplify and Normalize effect to bring my Low sounding songs up and to equal levels of my louder songs.........
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 am

The problem is... Most songs are already normalized. Normalizing* sets the peaks to the digital maximum of OdBFS. If you go any louder, you get clipping (distortion).

Most of your louder-sounding songs have higher average levels. And of course, you can't (linearly) boost the average level of your quieter songs without also boosting the peaks and causing distortion. This is why MP3Gain (and Apple's Sound Check) makes most of your songs quieter... You can't match volume by boosting the quiet-sounding songs, so you have to reduce the loud songs. ReplayGain works great for me! (I'm not using a portable player. I'm playing-back on a computer and I get plenty of volume, even though most songs are quieter with ReplayGain turned-on.)

You can use dynamic compression to boost the average & quiet parts without boosting the peaks, and Audacity can do that! But, this is a nonlinear process that can destroy the dynamic range (AKA "dynamic contrast") and make your music sound lousy. (A lot of modern music is already over-compressed... Look-up "loudness wars" on Wikipedia.) Some people like to do it, but I wouldn't blindly compress my entire music library... I'd want to listen carefully to the results with each song.

* Normalizing has more than one meaning, but when audio professionals say "normalize" they're talking about setting the digital volume so that the peaks are at (or very near) the digital maximum.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 am

Thanks for the great detailed answer DvdDog, I have been researching on normalization and it's process, it can be an very overwhelming subject and process as I am really finding out. I just really do not want to bring my currently nice , clear and amplified songs down to the very low level sounding ones, just to get the normalizing effect. These low sounding songs being played through my stereo at a gathering or party just kill the mode or spirit, when the song playing is so low, can barely feel it.
I was hoping for a program at least that could analyze all my songs at a time, and just help me get the lower sounding ones only up to a fuller, louder sound without distortment, or without like you said, having to normalize or process every song which could be doing more damage than good. Again, thanks for the info!
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:07 am

And right on the top of the pile of problems, Audacity may destroy your music. Audacity will not directly edit MP3 files.

If you have music that has been heavily compressed for storage and transmission, Audacity re-compression will add unacceptable compression artifacts like gargling, bubbling, and honking. Worse, the damage will change with the compression and damage of the original.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue May 21, 2013 4:30 am

Hello , was hoping to see if there were any updates on this topic from almost a couple years ago, since the latest Audacity 2.0.3 version. I have updated to this latest version, and selected and attempted to have all my newly downloaded mp3 audio files Normalized by Audacity again, to try and bring all songs to the Same or closest, and loudest, and best sounding levels without or at least very little distortion.

After editing with Audacity 2, then normalizing all my new songs at my same selected, nice and loud volume of -11dbs, I still do not get good results, some songs are nice and loud, some in the middle sounding range, and still many that are way too low in volumes in comparison to the nice and loud sounding songs. Was just trying to see if anyone can advise of any new improvements in the new Audacity version in this area anywhere? I know previously in this topic below, ones had mentioned that since Audacity does not directly edit MP3 files, it can destroy music files in this regard. Any other options in the new Audacity to achieve the same or as close as possible volume levels?
Also, was wondering if it makes a difference to use the Audacity Pre-Normalizing option on volumes as I load the songs in Audacity, or is it better to save the normalizing at the end, after all my other editing is done first, then normalize before I save and export as mp3 file?

I really dig and utilize many of the cool features in Audacity, but this is the 1 major huge problem I just cannot figure a way around in Audacity, after editing etc, trying to get my songs to output at louder, closer sounding volume levels. I tested the Volume Match feature in Goldwave editor, which works pretty good with most of my songs, but I would really like to Donate and continue with Audacity program because of its many features and updates etc.
Please advise any addtl help or info you can on this matter. Many Appreciated!!!
mr coolvibe

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 pm

mr coolvibe wrote:trying to get my songs to output at louder, closer sounding volume levels

Use ReplayGain (or Sound Check if you use an iPlayer). These were designed for the purpose and work quickly and losslessly.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by mr coolvibe » Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve. The Sound check feature on my both of my 5th and 6th gen Ipods does nothing really, I figure, it only works if all my songs originated from Itunes store, which is not the case, I get my songs from a few different stores and sources online.

I looked into Replaygain on Audacity FAQs and boards and online, I could not find this plugin anywhere in my Audacity 2.03, statements I came across by others made me believe it might already be included in the latest Audacity? Or where is a safe place to download into Audacity? Could not really find a valid download link etc anywhere.

I hope Replaygain though works better than MP3Gain, I did try the Mp3Gain program out several different ways a while back, but it was not very consistent in bringing my volumes to a closer level etc. I would like to test and try out ReplayGain on a few Mp3s along with my Windows XP pc, Audacity and Media Monkey library .Please advise where to find this Replaygain plugin for Audacity. Thanks!!!
mr coolvibe

Next

Return to Windows