Cannot Record via Onboard Audio in Windows 7

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Cannot Record via Onboard Audio in Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Jonwhita » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Before I upgraded my Compaq-Presario 2.5GHz x 2, 3GB RAM PC from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7, I had no problems recording Audacity via the onboard audio output. But now, the only option I have is Microphone. I installed the Audacity 1.3.x Beta version, choosing to run it in Windows XP SP2 Compatibility Mode. Device Manager says everything is working properly, and names Realtek High Definition Audio as my device, but strange as it may seem, the drivers installed (in Sound, Video and Game Controllers) are (one driver for - and in the 5th position on the list), Realtek High Definition Audio, and for the 1st four, NVIDIA High Definition Audio. There is no option anywhere, on my computer, i.e. in Sound, Recording Devices, etc. to select any input but Microphone. And Audacity only gives me 'Master' on the selection drop-down next to the Recording Level. And in Edit > Preferences > Devices, I have tried Microsoft Sound Mapper (both Input and Output).

Since Audacity worked correctly before Windows 7, I imagine the problem must be in the driver/s. I've read that RealteK is a common onboard audio chip, but I have no idea which one (version) my computer has or how to find out. And what about there being two different brands of audio drivers? Do I need to update the Realtek driver or the NVIDIA driver or both, or install a dedicated sound card, and if so, can someone please recommend a version to me, or is there something else I can to?

Can someone please help me?

Thanks,
Jon
Jonwhita

Re: Cannot Record via Onboard Audio in Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 pm

It's not unusual for someone to make it through a careful, thorough explanation of the problem and not tell us what the job is. What are you trying to record?

YouTube audio? Yes, that's correct. As you progress from WinXP to Win7, recording the computer's own show is harder and harder. Many Win7 machines leave out the software needed to do that.

Recording "Mix-Out" or whatever your machine called it, is a dance between the card, the drivers and the Operating System. If any of them drops the ball, you lose on Sports Call®.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recor ... e_computer

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by ignatz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:07 pm

What can't you record?

Anything at all? Or can't you record "what you hear"?

Did you right click in the recording tab of control panel/sound and make sure that disabled devices are shown?

Windows 7 sound has been deliberately changed to make it difficult for you to record "what you hear", but it can be done.

I had only minor issues in Vista, but a tougher time in Windows 7. I could record generally with Sigmatel, but could not initially record "what you hear".

After a lot of trial and error and driver reinstallation, I was able to get "what you hear" going with Realktek driver dated 11/6/2006; version 5.10.5258.2, showing the details seen in the pics below in device manager.

For unrelated reasons, I gave up on onboard sound and bought a Behringer USB sound card for $30 which has none of these issues in Windows 7.

Here is a diary I made at the time of exactly what I did:

Uninstall onboard sound drivers in Device Manager. Uninstall any remaining IDT or Sigmatel entries in add/remove programs.

Attempt to install this older Sigmatel driver from Intel: IDT Sigmatel Audio Driver

It may work as is for you, but it didn’t for me. It failed with this error: this system does not support the driver you are trying to install. I got the same result in compatibility mode for Vista sp2 and xp2

Rebooted and accepted installation of default Windows drivers. Control panel now showed a Sigmatel entry, which I am SURE I have never previously had with Win 7.

The playback tab shows 2 sets of speakers; only 1 works.

The recording tab in control panel now showed duplicate entries for microphone, line in, rear mic, and a single entry for stereo mix. I haven’t checked, but I would guess only 1 set of the duplicate pairs will work. The single stereo mix choice works as intended.

The details tab in device mgr shows this as hardware IDs:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862113&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862113

I can record what I am listening to in Audacity with its Preferences defaults, which are: Interface host: MME; Playback: speakers; Recording device: stereo mix. Make sure the slider next to the master volume control dropdown is set near the midpoint.

I can only guess that the first failed attempt at installing the Vista driver installed the Sigmatel control panel, a set of entries in the sound control panel, and some aspect of “stereo mix” that was later preserved when updated by the default drivers. I do know that the default drivers alone never provided “stereo mix”.

The only apparent downside is the duplicate set of entries (except for stereo mix) in the sound control panel.
Attachments
sigmatel driver ok for whatuhear win 7.JPG
sigmatel driver ok for whatuhear win 7.JPG (52.79 KiB) Viewed 3636 times
realtek.JPG
realtek.JPG (94.18 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
ignatz

Permanent link to this post Posted by Jonwhita » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm

kozikowski wrote:It's not unusual for someone to make it through a careful, thorough explanation of the problem and not tell us what the job is. What are you trying to record?

YouTube audio? Yes, that's correct. As you progress from WinXP to Win7, recording the computer's own show is harder and harder. Many Win7 machines leave out the software needed to do that.

Recording "Mix-Out" or whatever your machine called it, is a dance between the card, the drivers and the Operating System. If any of them drops the ball, you lose on Sports Call®.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recor ... e_computer

Koz

Koz, Thank you so much! Your link helped me. I want to record non-copyrighted (mono) audio that I have permission to record, specifically webinars that my partner makes and produces and has given me permission to record, for back-up in case his recordings malfunction, and other (self-derivative) non-copyrighted (mono) audio works that I make and produce and have permission to record.

When I had placed my original post/request for help, in Recording Devices (Rt Click on speaker by clock, or in Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Sound), there was no [visible] option to 'Show Disabled Devices', and the only visible devices were 'Line-In' and 'Microphone'. But I did not know that in order to view the 'Show Disabled Devices' option, all I needed to do was to Rt Click in the blank area of the Recording tab (in Sound); then I was able to select it, then 'Stereo Mix Realtek High definition Audio' appeared (showing a sound card icon), and I was then able to Rt Click and select Set as Default Device.

Now (as also before) in Audacity the input/source selection drop-down remains as 'Master' with no other options available to be selected. But now I can choose source/input options in Sound, Recording tab, by setting the default to select my option. Though it would be a little handier to be able to select and input source on the Audacity tool bar/control panel, apparently that is not an option that is available with my system/driver. (Or else I don't know another way to enable it).

Thanks again,
Jon
Jonwhita

Permanent link to this post Posted by Jonwhita » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:28 pm

ignatz wrote:What can't you record?

Anything at all? Or can't you record "what you hear"?

Did you right click in the recording tab of control panel/sound and make sure that disabled devices are shown?

Windows 7 sound has been deliberately changed to make it difficult for you to record "what you hear", but it can be done.

I had only minor issues in Vista, but a tougher time in Windows 7. I could record generally with Sigmatel, but could not initially record "what you hear".

After a lot of trial and error and driver reinstallation, I was able to get "what you hear" going with Realktek driver dated 11/6/2006; version 5.10.5258.2, showing the details seen in the pics below in device manager.

For unrelated reasons, I gave up on onboard sound and bought a Behringer USB sound card for $30 which has none of these issues in Windows 7.

Here is a diary I made at the time of exactly what I did:

Uninstall onboard sound drivers in Device Manager. Uninstall any remaining IDT or Sigmatel entries in add/remove programs.

Attempt to install this older Sigmatel driver from Intel: IDT Sigmatel Audio Driver

It may work as is for you, but it didn’t for me. It failed with this error: this system does not support the driver you are trying to install. I got the same result in compatibility mode for Vista sp2 and xp2

Rebooted and accepted installation of default Windows drivers. Control panel now showed a Sigmatel entry, which I am SURE I have never previously had with Win 7.

The playback tab shows 2 sets of speakers; only 1 works.

The recording tab in control panel now showed duplicate entries for microphone, line in, rear mic, and a single entry for stereo mix. I haven’t checked, but I would guess only 1 set of the duplicate pairs will work. The single stereo mix choice works as intended.

The details tab in device mgr shows this as hardware IDs:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862113&REV_1002
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80862113

I can record what I am listening to in Audacity with its Preferences defaults, which are: Interface host: MME; Playback: speakers; Recording device: stereo mix. Make sure the slider next to the master volume control dropdown is set near the midpoint.

I can only guess that the first failed attempt at installing the Vista driver installed the Sigmatel control panel, a set of entries in the sound control panel, and some aspect of “stereo mix” that was later preserved when updated by the default drivers. I do know that the default drivers alone never provided “stereo mix”.

The only apparent downside is the duplicate set of entries (except for stereo mix) in the sound control panel.

@ignatz, Thank you very much for your help too. I could not record any system sounds through the computer (or rather audio chip output, as in contrast to sound-card output, since the audio is onboard the motherboard), but only could record via a microphone. Please see my reply to 'kozikowski' for a more detailed explanation and (my) resolution.

Best regards,
Jon
Jonwhita

Permanent link to this post Posted by fancybird » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:31 am

refer to my reply and take a try , thank you.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38480
fancybird

Return to Windows