Cant Locate FFmpeg?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Cant Locate FFmpeg?

Permanent link to this post Posted by therock003 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:33 am

I have already tried that. When i set enabled to 1, i do get that message but same thing happens when i go to locate. The path is already there, i reselect the file anywhays, and i still get that the livrary is not found...

Then when i exit audacity the .cfg is automatically re-written and the line becomes "=0" once again, that's why you saw that. Anyway, just emailed you the avcodec.dwi. Maybe this could help you. I hope. :)
therock003

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 am

therock003 wrote:I have already tried that. When i set enabled to 1, i do get that message but same thing happens when i go to locate. The path is already there, i reselect the file anywhays, and i still get that the livrary is not found...

Then when i exit audacity the .cfg is automatically re-written and the line becomes "=0" once again, that's why you saw that. Anyway, just emailed you the avcodec.dwi. Maybe this could help you. I hope. :)

There are no errors in avcodec.dwi, but could you please send a dwi for avformat-52.dll which was the file I requested? Thanks for your patience.

Meantime if a conflict is the problem, are you sure you need FFmpeg in Chrome and that other application? It might help to know if you moved those FFmpeg libraries off to a thumb drive temporarily if the problem would go away.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by therock003 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:38 am

Oops my mistake. Just sent you the correct file. If this has no errors as well, i will have to delete the file from every other location. I dont use the M4a to Mp3 converter, but i dont know why Google seems to use it. I dont remember ever installing any 3rd party plugin or something on google.
therock003

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for the avformat-52.dwi. It only has the same errors that everyone gets and those don't affect Audacity detecting it.

Please do remove other instances of FFmpeg if you can and see if it helps. Meantime I'll ask the person who developed FFmpeg support if he has any ideas.

What did you want to use FFmpeg in Audacity for, for example importing or converting? You can use any FFmpeg version at the command line, instructions are here.

Using FFmpeg obtained from us, you can export to FFmpeg-supported formats like .mp4 or .ac3 via Audacity's command line encoder without Audacity detecting it in Preferences, selecting (external program) when you export. Then click the Options button, and enter:

ffmpeg -i - "%f"

Then just enter the filename and extension you want and click "Save". But to do that, FFmpeg must be in C:\Program Files\Lame for Audacity.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by therock003 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:59 am

Nope it's justnot happening. Delete every instance of avformat-52 i could find, and the program still doesnt locate it.

The particular feature i want to use, is i want to load some .caf files create by my iphones, and convert them to m4r (m4a ringtones for iphone).
therock003

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:41 am

therock003 wrote:Nope it's justnot happening. Delete every instance of avformat-52 i could find, and the program still doesnt locate it.

I would assume some obscure conflict with some other .dll on your computer, but if I find out any more I'll let you know.

therock003 wrote:The particular feature i want to use, is i want to load some .CAF files create by my iphones, and convert them to m4r (m4a ringtones for iphone).

CAF (Core Audio Format) is a container file like WAV, so it may depend on what format is inside the container. Audacity (without FFmpeg) supports CAF up to a point, and might be able to import the file if it contained uncompressed PCM audio and you renamed it to AIFF. However I suspect your .CAF contains AAC audio. Can you attach a short .CAF file from your iPhone, or e-mail it?

Given iPhone created it, can you import the file into iTunes? You may have to rename it to .M4A or just possibly, AIFF or AIFC. If iTunes accepts it you can convert it to .M4R in iTunes.

These instructions are for iTunes 8. If you have iTunes 7, the setting to change is on the small "Importing" tab inside the "Advanced" tab.
1 Click Edit > Preferences
2 Click on the leftmost "General" tab
3 Click the "Import Settings" button half way down on the right
4 In the "Import Using" dropdown, choose "AAC Encoder"
5 In the "Setting" dropdown, choose Custom - you probably want to choose a low bit rate
6 Click OK and OK
7 Right-click over the file you want to convert > "Create AAC version"
8 Right-click over the converted file, click "Get Info", and check the location of the file at "Where". Rename it in Explorer to M4R extension

Note in recent iTunes 9, the "Create AAC version" option is accessed from the "Advanced" menu, not by right-click.

If that doesn't work, try playing the file in QuickTime which should have been bundled with iTunes, then record it into Audacity, export as WAV and then convert to .M4R using iTunes or SUPER.

[Note that people on Macs may have various sounds in .CAF format. These appear to be AAC-encoded (on the basis of some samples that someone sent to me once). However Audacity with FFmpeg can't decode them, nor can the FFmpeg version downloaded from Audacity if used at the command line. From what I'm told, people on Mac should be able to open them in Audacity Beta using File > Open and choosing the Quick Time importer.]

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Previous

Return to Windows