exporting wav to ulaw

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: exporting wav to ulaw

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 am

steve wrote:
pthdnvr wrote:The test_goldwave file worked
The test_audacity or the test_audacity_default files did not work.

The only obvious difference that I see is that the Audacity 8000 Hz uLaw file has metadata and the Goldwave version doesn't.

Plus that again the Goldwave file has the FACT chunk moved to the end of the file, but that did not seem to be the explanation before.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by pthdnvr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 am

I don't believe it's the metadata. The actual file I created for use did not have metadata and did not work. The metadata was only added when I created the test file. But I will try it without the metadata and post the new file tonight.

In Audacity, in the left panel, the setting shows mono, 16-bit. How do I set audacity to use 8-bit? It's current set at 8000hz, mono, 16 bit PCM which is 128kbps and the specs are to use 8000 Hz, 64kbps, mono.
pthdnvr

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by pthdnvr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:38 am

I just tried removing the metadata and testing in the my telephony application and the new file worked. A bit surprised, I tried the original test_audacity file I posted with the meta data and that worked as well.

A bit baffled, I recorded another message in Audacity following the instructions in snafder's blog. Uploaded it to the telephony application and it does not work. The application is set to play multiple messages. The first message was the test_audacity file. It played just fine, the send message was the test_goldwave file, that played just fine. The third message was the newly recorded message. When the application got to the third message, I hear a couple of clicks and then the phone system I get an operator message "If you'd to make a call, please hang up and try again.... as if I left the phone off the hook for too long.
pthdnvr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 am

Snafder recommends no metadata.

If your application also has a bug of unpredictable playback, I don't think there is much conclusion to be drawn.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by pthdnvr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 am

I'm chasing down the bug with the application.

I've tested again with Audacity following steps in Snafder's blog and have been able to get it to work some of the time.
Setting the project rate at 8000Hz as default, setting the input channel to Mono, and exporting as uncompressed file with Wav (Microsoft) header and U-Law encoding does seem to work -- when the application is behaving :).

A shoutout to Snafder for his blog:
http://snafder.blogspot.com/2011/01/sav ... t.html?m=1

Thank you all for your help.
pthdnvr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Carander » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Gale's worked for me 1st time especially when setting project rate to 8000. Thanks Gale
Carander

Previous

Return to Windows