Audacity could not find the recording device

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Audacity could not find the recording device

Permanent link to this post Posted by chueh » Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 pm

I am using Windows 7 and Audacity 1.3 Beta. I have a Yamaha SY77. I just bought a USB Midi cable which converts a pc to Midi keyboard. Here is the product description and the picture:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I followed the instruction that came with the cable package:connecting the "in" of the cable to the "OUT" of the SYNTH, and the "out" of the cable to the "IN" of the SYNTH. It says that the driver would automatically makes everything work.

When I connected the USB to the computer, the computer recognized that a new device was installed. When everything was connected and in place, the light of the USB-MIDI CONVERTER was lid. The Midi IN light is lid, but not midi out light. I checked the preference in the software (Audacity) under device tab. Everything looks fine, except the recording device. Under the recording device, it says "no recording device is found." That IS the problem. When the device cannot be found, it just would not do anything.

I checked the Sound in control Panel. I wanted to add a new device to the sound recording device, but there is no option for me to add. The only device present is the microphone device.

Please advise. thank you.
chueh

Re: Audacity could not find the recording device

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun May 23, 2010 10:43 pm

The link gives 404 error (page not found).
Audacity does not record MIDI. Audacity only records audio. To record MIDI you need a "sequencer" program.

More information about MIDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_In ... _Interface
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Re: Audacity could not find the recording device

Permanent link to this post Posted by chueh » Sun May 23, 2010 10:59 pm

I see. That answers my question. Thanks!
chueh

Return to Windows