clippings

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

clippings

Permanent link to this post Posted by cpalit » Fri May 21, 2010 5:54 am

After recording I got Irregular clippings. How can I remove them? will it be proper to select the clipps and delete them? will they effect the music track any way?
cpalit

Operating System: Please select

Re: clippings

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri May 21, 2010 9:32 am

If you can tell us which version of Audacity and what operating system you are using I can move this post to the right part of the forum. The "Forum Issues" board is for questions and suggestions regarding the software used to run this Internet forum. It is not for help using Audacity, or for any other audio-related questions.

Could you also post a screen shot of what you mean.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by cpalit » Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 am

stevethefiddle wrote:If you can tell us which version of Audacity and what operating system you are using I can move this post to the right part of the forum. The "Forum Issues" board is for questions and suggestions regarding the software used to run this Internet forum. It is not for help using Audacity, or for any other audio-related questions.

Could you also post a screen shot of what you mean.

Thanks for your erly response.As I am new in this field I donot know where to post my queries. I am using 1.3.11-beta version of Audacity. My operating system is Window 7,Home basic.
according to your advise I am also attaching a screen shot also.
clipping.jpg
clipping.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
cpalit

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri May 21, 2010 12:12 pm

cpalit wrote:As I am new in this field I donot know where to post my queries.

No problem - topic moved. Usually if you are using Audacity 1.3 on Windows you should post in the "Audacity 1.3.x (Beta) > Windows" part of the forum.

Thanks for the screenshot - that shows the problem clearly. The right channel of your recording is recorded too loud. Unfortunately it is near impossible to make a satisfactory repair to clipped audio. If the clipping is only very minor, it may not sound too bad and you can choose to ignore it. If the clipping is more than just a little, you will hear a nasty crunchy distortion where those red lines are. By the time the distortion is such that you can hear it, it is usually too severe to be able to repair.

There is a tool in the Effect menu called "ClipFix" which can go some way to repairing slightly clipped audio, but it can not cope well with heavily distorted audio.
To use ClipFix, first use "Amplify" and set a negative amplification amount so as to reduce the level by around -10 dB. Then select an area that has clipping and apply ClipFix. Do not try to apply ClipFix to the entire track as it is really slow and could cause Audacity to crash or lock up.

If you tell us how/what you are recording, we may be able to suggest ways to avoid the problem in the future.

Audacity 1.3.11 has now been updated to version 1.3.12 and has some important bug fixes.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by gratefulphish » Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 am

You can also zoom into the areas in the wave form where the clips appear. Clips show up as the wave rises, and then passes above zero db, leaving a blank "clipped" space. If you zoom in, and then use the pencil tool to redraw the tops of the two peaks so that they connect, it will avoid the digi-clip crackling sound. That being said, you need to record at a lower level, as you can always make up the gain later on, but it is a much bigger PITA to have to manually deal with clipping (which I personally prefer to do, rather than relying on any program's clip repair function).
gratefulphish

Return to Windows