How can I use my USB headset to record?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

How can I use my USB headset to record?

Permanent link to this post Posted by sentinel1945 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:44 pm

How can I use my USB headset to record? I have tried to find out how to do this.

I am a beginner. I have been trying to get started with Audacity for some time.
I recently purchased the new e-book on Podcasting with Audacity.

I saw this post in the forum:
New headset / mic issues by da_qtip on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:25 am
And noted the reply by stevethefiddle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm
Click on the menu "Edit->Preferences->Audio I/O" and make sure that your USB device is selected for both recording and playback device.

I opened Audacity ® 1.3.4-beta (Unicode)
I was able to play a file I had previously recorded in Audacity in January, 2007 during an earlier effort to get started. Something has changed on my system since then. I still have Audacity 1.2.6 but it no longer lists the C-Media USB Sound Device as a recording device option and neither does Skype. It played through my desktop speakers. I changed the playback device to my USB device and it played through my headset.

I tried to record a new file, but the line on the display stayed flat. It looks like I should be able to choose C-Media USB Sound Device for my recording device, but it is not on the list.

Edit/Preferences/Audio I/O shows:
Playback device choices are:
MME: C-Media USB Sound Device (currently selected)
MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper - Output
MME: SigmaTel Audio (This is my sound card.)
MME: Modem #4Line Playback

Recording device choices are: (I tried all three.)
MME: Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input (currently selected)
MME: SigmaTel Audio (This is my sound card.)
MME: Modem #4Line Playback

Edit/Preferences/ Quality shows:
Default Sample Rate 44100 HZ
Default Sample Format 16-bit

I installed a new driver on 1-31-2008. NB_Dock_audioDriver10 for C-Media USB Sound. Since I am new to this, I am reluctant to simply remove that to see if that helps. I wanted to ask in the forum first, in case this is something simple to deal with.

If I can get past that first hurdle, I will try to learn how to manage the files Audacity creates. I hope the e-book will help me get started with that. A folder I created with the name headset 1-27-2007 data contain files B00000.au – B00014.au. Will I be able to record a message and just save it to a file? Maybe I should ask about that as a separate issue after I do some more reading?

I tried to keep this as short as I could and still provide the pertinent information.

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

:)
sentinel1945

Re: How can I use my USB headset to record?

Permanent link to this post Posted by sentinel1945 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 pm

I can record with my USB Headset now!

My original post on this thread inspired me to try removing my recent driver updates and that did allow me to see C-Media USB Sound Device as a recording device choice.

I removed the program listed as C-Media USB Sound Driver in my Windows XPSP2 Home Edition Add or Remove Programs. On Driver Agent it was referred to as USB Composite Device, dated 7-1-2001, Version 5.1.2611.0 and the description was Kensington Notebook Dock Audio. This does not sound right for a Dell Dimension Desktop driver.

I also removed KB888111WXPSP2 since I also have High Definition Audio Driver Package KB835221 installed and they seem to be duplicates. They both said they were Microsoft Corporation Version 20040219.000000, so I kept the older one.

Now I can move on to learn about recording and how to save the files without creating any unnecessary or extra ones.

:)
sentinel1945

Re: How can I use my USB headset to record?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Have a look at this section of the manual - it covers how to Export audio files, and the difference between Saving projects and Exporting audio files:
http://www.audacityteam.org/manual/inde ... _exporting
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to Windows