Inserting Audio / Combining clips

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Inserting Audio / Combining clips

Permanent link to this post Posted by JLay » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I need to add a beginning audio to an existing MP3 file. I have followed what I believe are the instructions to paste a clip into the existing file (Box checked to move audio). I have also tried the help text about loading both, clicking on name, click zero crossing point then Paste into new file with cursor where I want the insert, but in each case the files just mix and play at the same time. This is a new user error... but I would appreciate some help. It is the beta 1.3.x version which works very well for the normal recording and saving I do. Thanks !
JLay

Re: Inserting Audio / Combining clips

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:38 pm

When you paste the clip, does it go into a new track? Is the clip on the clipboard, or are you importing it?

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by JLay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Bill, when I post the clip in the 1st method it does go to an 2nd track but when played, they mix. In the second method,
It is already in a 2nd track in the tool but the action recommended only adds the first track again. Track1 - Track 2, after action = Track1Track1. I know this is confusing but basically I have the two audio pieces saved as MP3 files separately and I want to join them so that one is preceded by the other.
JLay

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 pm

JLay wrote:I have the two audio pieces saved as MP3 files separately and I want to join them so that one is preceded by the other.

1) Open Audacity - (gives an empty Audacity project window)
2) Import both audio files - (you now have 2 tracks, one below the other).
3) Press the F5 key at the top of the keyboard (selects the "Time Shift" tool and the mouse pointer will become a double pointed arrow when it is over a track).
4) Click with the left mouse button on one of the tracks, and while holding down the button, drag the track to the right.

By clicking and dragging with the Time Shift tool you can position the tracks so that one starts at the beginning (it's original position) and the other track begins when the first one ends.

Press the F1 key to go back to the normal "Select Tool" ("I" shaped cursor when over a track).

5) When you have the tracks in the right place, play the entire thing (Press the "Rewind" Button, then the "Play" button - or using the keyboard "Home" Key then "Spacebar").

When you are happy with it, select "Export" from the File menu. The two tracks will be automagically mixed together into a single combined file.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by JLay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Steve, thanks. I will try this now and report back. Seems pretty simple if you know what you are doing. I appreciate the quick post.
JLay

Permanent link to this post Posted by JLay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:01 pm

UPDATE- Steve--THANKS !! this worked great and accomplished exactly what I wanted it to do. I consider this forum question completely resolved
JLay

Return to Windows