Can't detect lame_enc.dll on Windows 7

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Can't detect lame_enc.dll on Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

jacob1919 wrote:i have also same problem so i downloaded this lame_enc.dll file from dll-files.com but it not working plz tell what exactly i do...

Please read the posts above and the links thereon. Please double-check the instructions here to make sure you have no old paths to lame-enc.dll stored in the Audacity settings.

Audacity 1.3 will (mostly) only work with lame_enc.dll compiled by us, so if the above instructions don't work for you, please try these alternative versions of lame_enc.dll:

* http://www.gaclrecords.org.uk/lame_enc-win-3.98.3.zip

* http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/libmp3lame-win-3.98.2.zip

* lame_enc.dll without manifest (this solves most problems which can't otherwise be resolved):
http://www.gaclrecords.org.uk/lame_enc_no_manifest.zip

* As a last resort, a version of lame_enc.dll 3.97 which should work in latest 1.3.x:
download/file.php?id=824

We do not recommend LAME 3.97 because that version produces distortions unless you use bit rates over 192 kbps.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Green Gorgon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:51 am

I'm still having trouble getting lame_enc.dll working with 1.3.12. I'm using Windows XP

I've tried using every file listed on this thread (and a few from other places), going through the ritual of telling Audacity where it was and making sure the two lines were deleted in audacity,cfg.

Every single time I get the error "Could not open MP3 encoding library!" The exclamation point is mocking me, I can feel it.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Maybe someone can tell me what's up.
Green Gorgon

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Green Gorgon wrote:I'm still having trouble getting lame_enc.dll working with 1.3.12. I'm using Windows XP

I've tried using every file listed on this thread (and a few from other places), going through the ritual of telling Audacity where it was and making sure the two lines were deleted in audacity,cfg.

Every single time I get the error "Could not open MP3 encoding library!"

Where are you putting lame_enc.dll? It should be automatically detected by Audacity if you place it in:

* Program FilesLame for Audacity
* the Audacity Installation folder
* the Plug-Ins folder inside the Audacity installation folder

Make sure there are no other versions of lame_enc.dll in those places.

Normally there is no problem with the 3.97 lame_enc.dll, even if the others fail. If you wish you could download Dependency Walker, drag the 3.97 lame_enc.dll into it, File > Save the .dwi file and e-mail it to me at

gale_at_audacityteam_dot_org

formatted like a normal e-mail address with _at_ replaced by @ and _dot_ replaced by a period (.). That should show if the 3.97 lame_enc.dll is failing because some library it depends on is missing from your system.

Also if you install the "Lame v3.98.2 for Audacity on Windows.exe" to the expected Program FilesLame for Audacity, you should be able to export using its LAME.exe at the command line. When you export, choose "(external program)" instead of "MP3 files", click "Options", ensure the command reads lame - "%f " then save the file making sure you add the .mp3 extension to the filename.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:43 pm

@Green Gorgon: Thanks for the .dwi file and your message off-list. I'm a bit surprised that 3.97 (htttp://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=824) was failing as well. I wouldn't mind seeing the dwi file for that 3.97 if that's possible.

The dwi file you sent indicates your machine seems to be lacking msvcr80.dll, so could you try unzipping this .dll from the attachment and placing it in your Audacity installation folder?

Thanks

Gale
Attachments
msvcr80.zip
(308.99 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by galoshes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:36 am

I also have a problem with exporting mp3s.
I'm using windows 7 and the beta version of audacity.
I installed a LAME encoder earlier. When I tried to do an export to mp3, I got the message saying that the mp3 encoding library couldn't be opened.
I am also having problems uninstalling the LAME encoder so i can try other versions. In the uninstall area of the control panel, the file doesn't appear. Is there another way to uninstall if the program doesn't appear there?
galoshes

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 pm

galoshes wrote:I installed a LAME encoder earlier. When I tried to do an export to mp3, I got the message saying that the mp3 encoding library couldn't be opened.

Which version of Lame did you install and where did you get it from?
Did you follow the instructions HERE to configure Audacity?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by galoshes » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Initially I used a different LAME encoder I believe. I then sent it to recycle bin and downloaded the LAME recommended in the audacity instructions and have the same problem: audicity doesn't recognise mp3 library, doesn't appear in the uninstall area of through the control panel. Is it OK if I simply send it to recycle bin, delete from reclycle bin, then try again with a different encoder?
galoshes

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:37 am

Yes you can delete it, but then:
Download the ZIP version of Lame from here: http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/
Extract "lame_enc.dll" from the ZIP file into the Audacity 1.3 beta installation folder (should be in "Program Files")
Restart Audacity
Go to "Edit menu > Preferences > Libraries" and click on the "Locate MP3 Library" button and Lame will be automatically detected.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by galoshes » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:39 am

Thanks for your help Steve. Got it working. :)
galoshes

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bridgeboy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:43 am

The LAME website, http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/, is down for me. Is there a mirror to get the installer? Links just to the dll don't work for me.
Bridgeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Windows