PLAY music, SING AND RECORD same time....

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

PLAY music, SING AND RECORD same time....

Permanent link to this post Posted by mak1168 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:10 am

hi guys ! just to ask about audacity.I am using window xp-sp3.i want to record my voice from my mic that i am using same time with the audio that i play in PC.Pls help where to adjust and how in audacity programs.appreciated for your help pls.thanks.mak1168
mak1168

Re: PLAY music, SING AND RECORD same time....

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:46 pm

Record or import the music into Audacity first, then record your voice on a second track.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by intristin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:53 pm

stevethefiddle wrote:Record or import the music into Audacity first, then record your voice on a second track.

There has to be another way then this...

I have used Audacity on Windows XP for over 2 years to record my podcast. I could record via my mic, skype, and multiple media players at the same exact time and it worked flawlessly. Basically Audacity would record all sounds my computer was making, which is the way I wanted and needed it to do.

I have since upgraded my OS to windows 7 and I can no longer do this. It only records my mic and will not pick up and record sounds from any other program. This as you can imagine is extremely frustrating. I have tried many of the different audio settings, but the option to record "What you Hear" has disappeared from Audacity since changing to win7. If anyone can point me in the correct direction I would be grateful.

mak1168 wrote:hi guys ! just to ask about audacity.I am using window xp-sp3.i want to record my voice from my mic that i am using same time with the audio that i play in PC.Pls help where to adjust and how in audacity programs.appreciated for your help pls.thanks.mak1168

To answer your question, it depends on what sound card you have. If your using onboard sound you may not be able to record "what you hear", If you have any Sound Blaster card it's very easy to do. Just go to the drop down menu box in your interface and look for the option "what you hear" and this will record all sounds on your computer and give you your desired effect. If you don't have this option than your sound card don't support it. I know for a fact that your OS, WinXP will support it. Good luck 8-)
intristin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:46 am

intristin wrote:There has to be another way then this...

Oh yes, there's lots and lots of other ways. That's just one way and it's effective, simple and versatile.

intristin wrote:I have since upgraded my OS to windows 7 and I can no longer do this. It only records my mic and will not pick up and record sounds from any other program.

I've not tried Windows 7, but it may be similar to setting up Vista: http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... ng_devices
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by intristin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 am

stevethefiddle wrote:
intristin wrote:There has to be another way then this...

Oh yes, there's lots and lots of other ways. That's just one way and it's effective, simple and versatile.

This would work if I was only adding sweepers. But I need to import sound in real time via skype and this is not possible with the method you mention. I have searched high and low for an answer but it seems I may need to roll back to WinXP. :roll:

stevethefiddle wrote:
intristin wrote:I have since upgraded my OS to windows 7 and I can no longer do this. It only records my mic and will not pick up and record sounds from any other program.

I've not tried Windows 7, but it may be similar to setting up Vista: http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... ng_devices

Yea, I tired messing with all that and nothing works. My sound drivers for win7 are in beta so perhaps they will work sooner or later. The really strange thing is the sound is going into audacity as the volume meter shows it, but it just wont record it, Only the mic. :roll:
intristin

Return to Windows