MP3 TAGGING PROCESS

This section is now closed.

This forum is now closed.

For help with current Audacity, please post to the 2.x board for your operating system.

Please post feedback about the current 2.x version on the 2.x feedback board.

MP3 TAGGING PROCESS

Permanent link to this post Posted by MIKEWILLCOCKS » Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 pm

I am a long time user of Audacity 1.2.4 on Windows XP Pro. I have been transferring vinyl tracks using a ION USB record player through Audacity into MP3; the music files sat in the folders created in C: Documents and Settings \ My Documents \ My Music. I then used Media Monkey to export onto IPods. All worked well.

The process in 1.2.4 - when I recorded a complete album from vinyl as an Audacity project, I then used 'Add Label at Selection' to split and entitle each track . When all tracks were titled, I then used 'Export Multiple' as MP3, added additional tags into the pop up tagging box, and exported the files into the folder created in Music under XP Pro. All the tagged information such as Album name, song title, artist, year, genre etc would stay with each track and be married with album art in the designated folder.

I now have Windows 7 Home and have downloaded Audacity 1.3.13. Major changes and major problems; perhaps you can correct my errors.

I now record the vinyl, and split and title the tracks as I did before. However, when I select 'Export Multiple as MP3' I see a panel appear with Metadata rows. These rows are populated with metadata from a prior album and other than the track title are not relevant. Yet they will not go away. If I clear them, I have to clear each track and re-enter all the details. It seems that I have to amend each row of tagged data with the same information; artist, year, album title etc etc. This is extremely laborious and time consuming; in the previous set up, I entered the details once and they were carried through the entire project. Is it the case that I have to enter the same metadata multiple times, that is for every track prior to export so that it appears on a per track basis?

Any help appreciated! (Also I used to be able to add album art by downloading a jpeg to the music folder but this seems no longer seems possible, so no more album art??)

Mike
Last edited by MIKEWILLCOCKS on Wed May 04, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIKEWILLCOCKS

Re: MP3 TAGGING PROCESS

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed May 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Open the Metadata editor (File menu) before you Export Multiple.
Clear the current data if necessary, then enter the data that is common to all tracks (Album title, etc.)
Now when you Export Multiple, most of the (correct) data is already there, and you just need to add the track specific information in the Metadata pop-up.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by MIKEWILLCOCKS » Wed May 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Steve, many thanks, it worked perfectly!

Don't suppose you know how I can add album art to the exported MP3 file in Windows 7 ?

Mike
MIKEWILLCOCKS

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 05, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't use Windows, but I would expect that you could add album art with Windows Media Player (or whatever your usual player is).
Audacity does not support album art.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to General Feedback and Discussion