Audacity for Android 2.1 - maybe a fake ?

This section is now closed.

This forum is now closed.

For help with current Audacity, please post to the 2.x board for your operating system.

Please post feedback about the current 2.x version on the 2.x feedback board.

Audacity for Android 2.1 - maybe a fake ?

Permanent link to this post Posted by GefBuneri » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 am

Hi all,
in this days I'm thinking about buying a device with Android 2.1 OS, and I rid online some informations (but not too clear...) about using Audacity on this OS, it's a fake or really exists an Android distro ?

Thanx anyone will help.

Regards,

Gef.
GefBuneri

Re: Audacity for Android 2.1 - maybe a fake ?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:35 am

Audacity does not run on Android and there are no plans do develop Audacity for running on mobile devices.
You can use Audacity for editing audio that can be used on mobiles, such as editing ring tones (provided that they are in a supported audio format such as MP3) so perhaps that is what they meant.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by GefBuneri » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 am

Oh, so sad...

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

Wish you nice holidays.

Gef.
GefBuneri

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:11 am

Android is an OS for mobile phones... I wonder why someone would want to run audacity on a mobile phone...
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hotsoup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Android isn't just for phones, neither is iOS.

I intend to do audio editing from the Motorola Xoom when it comes out next month. It's a tablet running on Android 3.0, it's got a gig of RAM, a dual-core processor and enough storage space, I expect it will have enough capacity to do audio editing.

I love Audacity for home, I was hoping this program might migrate to the mobile platform. It's disappointing that it won't.

With or without Audacity, I hope to produce podcasts from the Xoom.
hotsoup

Permanent link to this post Posted by hotsoup » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 pm

And yeah, I just registered to express my disappointment that Audacity isn't coming to Android. Not to troll, but because I really do think Audacity is the best app for the job. It works great from my laptop, I'm just hoping to go smaller.
hotsoup

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:38 pm

To date, mobile devices that use Android have not been powerful enough or had big enough screens to run Audacity.
As new, more powerful devices become available it may become viable for software developers to port Audacity to Android, but for the foreseeable future this is unlikely to happen as many of the building blocks that Audacity requires are not available for Android. For example, Audacity is a WxWidgets application, but WxWidgets is not available for Android. Creating a version of Audacity without WxWidgets would require a total rewrite, so in effect it wouldn't be Audacity.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by EddyHopper » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks for the info.

It begs the question, what alternatives are out there for android? I haven't even been able to find a recorder that adjusts the input. I would be happy with that, four to eight tracks, and the ability to export into Audacity. Garage Band for my Android tablet,maybe?

Sorry to add android noise to an Audacity forum, but I figure more people know about recording here than on the Android forums.
EddyHopper

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 am

This forum is for General Feedback and Discussion about Audacity 1.3.x (see forum title above).

Audacity does not run on Android, so this topic is outside of the scope of this forum.
Due to the amount of spam that this topic is attracting the topic is now locked.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to General Feedback and Discussion