Latency Issues

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

Latency Issues

Permanent link to this post Posted by Silky64 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and here is my issue. I will record the first track, go back to the begining to record the second track and i get this message.Latency Correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero.
Audacity has brought it back to start at zero.
You may have to use the Time Shift Tool (<---> or F5) to drag the track to the right place.
I mess with all the tools with no positive results...It will not let me record a second track and that message pops up every time... I am a newbie to audacity so any help would be great...Thanks...
Silky64

Re: Latency Issues

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 pm

I bet you're not using Audacity 1.2.x
What version are you using?

Do you have a standard Ubuntu install of have you modified the sound system in any way?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by jademan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Silky64 wrote:I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and here is my issue. I will record the first track, go back to the begining to record the second track and i get this message.Latency Correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero.
You may have to use the Time Shift Tool (<---> or F5) to drag the track to the right place.

Silky64,

In this new page from the 2.0 manual, Latency Test, there is a discussion at the very end "All audio behind zero warning".

I hope this helps.
jademan

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:13 am

The only way I can see this happening is if you have accidentally selected a very short section of audio at the start of the first track. When you tell Audacity to record the second track it records only for as long as the current selection. Try clicking the Skip To Start button, then try recording again. If this doesn't work then I'm stumped.

--Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by jademan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 am

Silky64 wrote:I am using Ubuntu 9.04 and here is my issue. I will record the first track, go back to the begining to record the second track and i get this message.Latency Correction setting has caused the recorded audio to be hidden before zero.
I mess with all the tools with no positive results...It will not let me record a second track and that message pops up every time... I am a newbie to audacity so any help would be great...Thanks...

SIlky64,

Hmm....

OK, I was able to reproduce your issue, but not under 1.2. For me, it was under 1.3.9 running in Windows XP SP3, not *nix. I can recreate this problem by going to Edit > Preferences > Recording, and set "Audio to Buffer" latency to 0. Try setting this value much higher.

The default for this setting in Audacity is 100ms.

I hope this helps.
jademan

Permanent link to this post Posted by glyn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:25 am

I still don't understand how to take the red marker off my audacity, all the settings are correct, but can't record, cusor won't move...I have 1.3 beta....please help me, I was recording fine then it came up with this latency correction message about the recording audio part being moved back to zero, ...tks
glyn

Permanent link to this post Posted by glyn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 am

how do I use the time shift tool to drag the marker to the right place....the red marker will not let me record, please help, i'm getting very frustrated to the tune of getting rid of this computer, this is going on for 2 weeks now and i've changed settings as people have told me and nothing is working...pleasssse help...
glyn

Permanent link to this post Posted by glyn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:45 pm

And where is the right place, does anyone check this thread anymore??? tks
glyn

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

glyn wrote:I still don't understand how to take the red marker off my audacity, all the settings are correct, but can't record, cusor won't move...I have 1.3 beta....please help me, I was recording fine then it came up with this latency correction message about the recording audio part being moved back to zero, ...tks

glyn wrote:how do I use the time shift tool to drag the marker to the right place....the red marker will not let me record, please help, i'm getting very frustrated to the tune of getting rid of this computer, this is going on for 2 weeks now and i've changed settings as people have told me and nothing is working...pleasssse help...

glyn wrote:And where is the right place, does anyone check this thread anymore??? tks

This is a very old thread and you should started a new topic.

Anyway, go to the Transport menu and make sure you don't have Sound Activated Recording enabled. Did that solve your problem?
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by glyn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 am

oh wow, well it started moving ,but it has no sound? and i'm afraid to change anything until I hear from you again...just so excited it's moving...glyn
glyn

Next

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like