Won't recognize USB mic?

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Won't recognize USB mic?

Permanent link to this post Posted by writeblu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:44 pm

I downloaded Audacity 1.2.6 to make some voice files. My Mac's built-in mic picks up too much ambient sound and too little me, so I went to buy a USB mic. I tried both:

Rocketfish™ Digital USB Microphone Model: RF-USBMIC
Logitech USB Desktop Microphone Model: 980186-0403

...and neither will work properly with my Mac and Audacity. I'm able to "see" the device (named something like AK54??) in the System Prefs/Sound control panel (and the VU meter there DID move when I spoke into the mic), and the device also showed up in Audacity's Prefs, but when I tried to record, Audacity would give me an error message <error opening sound device, please check the input device settings and sample rate>. Of course, I could find nowhere to change those sample sizes, and no software/drivers were included with the mics, although they are supposedly Mac-compatible.

My Mac is a G4 PPC 500mHz PowerBook, running OS 10.4.10. It's dual-bootable (I don't recall if the 9.2 side was also booted at the time), if that makes any difference. Any help greatly appreciated.
writeblu

Re: Won't recognize USB mic?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:36 am

OK, I know about fourteen cents worth more about this that I did a while ago. You say both devices show up in Apple Preferences and they both cause the flashing lights sound meter to wiggle?

Audacity wants you to change its preferences to match the incoming sound, not the other way around.

Look on the box that the devices came in and see if they don't have a Default Encoding Setting. I would put money on 48 KHz, 16 bit, Stereo. Change Audacity in Audacity, Settings, Quality; and Audacity, Settings, Audio I/O.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 am

Try going into those settings and select Mono instead of Channels 2 (Stereo).

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by writeblu » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:05 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I will try what you suggested.
writeblu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:00 am

I posted a step-by-step for microphones.

http://kozco.com/audacity/USB_Microphone.html

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by writeblu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks! You're too kind!
writeblu

Permanent link to this post Posted by sephethus » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:52 pm

So the only solution to this is to set your USB mic to mono? I can only get it to work in 16 bit mono, that doesn't sound like a very good solution. Does Audacity just not work with USB microphones on Apple computers? There is no microphone input on Mac Pros, USB microphones are the only option.
sephethus

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:57 am

<<<USB microphones are the only option.>>>

No, that's not exactly true. I use an external mixer with my microphones and I connect to the Line-In of my Mac. Mixers are falling out of favor, but there is no other good way to set the sound levels during a performance in real time.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Mac OS X