Cannot Export to .WAV Error Message

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Cannot Export to .WAV Error Message

Permanent link to this post Posted by jdub1892 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 am

I recently purchased a new MBP and installed the 1.2.x version (I like it better than the beta) and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the Export to WAV function.

Yes, I am running Lion, but the strange thing is this... my last laptop had a HD issue and it was time to get a new one. However, the previous laptop was also a MBP and it had Lion on it and the program ran fine with no hiccups. Not sure why this is happening now.

Someone please help, I used to use this program on a daily basis to re-track shows and it kills me that I can't figure this out.
jdub1892

Operating System: Please select

Re: Cannot Export to .WAV Error Message

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:55 am

jdub1892 wrote:I recently purchased a new MBP and installed the 1.2.x version (I like it better than the beta) and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the Export to WAV function.

Yes, I am running Lion, but the strange thing is this... my last laptop had a HD issue and it was time to get a new one. However, the previous laptop was also a MBP and it had Lion on it and the program ran fine with no hiccups. Not sure why this is happening now.

Someone please help, I used to use this program on a daily basis to re-track shows and it kills me that I can't figure this out.

Sorry you had a problem. Exactly what does the error message say? Exactly what location are you exporting to? Can you export to your Desktop? Are you exporting from a file you imported into 1.2?

1.2 will have lots of problems on Lion, including shortcuts activating when you type in file save and open dialogues. We are not fixing problems in 1.2; it is now marked as "legacy" as it will shortly be replaced with 2.0.0 (which is based on 1.3.14 Beta). Why do you prefer 1.2? We are happy to take your feedback about it into account.

So in summary we probably can't help without further details. I would suggest you try 1.3.14 instead.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 am

You're doing better than I am. I couldn't get 1.2 to run at all on Snow Leopard. Audacity 1.2 can be seriously unstable on modern operating systems. So unstable, it might not be able to manage the drive/file system.

There are too many patches and updates between 1.2 and 1.3/2.0 to run down the list. Write back if you have problems exporting WAV in Audacity 1.3.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by jdub1892 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
jdub1892 wrote:I recently purchased a new MBP and installed the 1.2.x version (I like it better than the beta) and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the Export to WAV function.

Sorry you had a problem. Exactly what does the error message say? Exactly what location are you exporting to? Can you export to your Desktop? Are you exporting from a file you imported into 1.2?

1.2 will have lots of problems on Lion, including shortcuts activating when you type in file save and open dialogues. We are not fixing problems in 1.2; it is now marked as "legacy" as it will shortly be replaced with 2.0.0 (which is based on 1.3.14 Beta). Why do you prefer 1.2? We are happy to take your feedback about it into account.

So in summary we probably can't help without further details. I would suggest you try 1.3.14 instead.

Gale

I was trying to export to my desktop in WAV and the Message that comes up says "Cannot export audio to /01.wav" (01 being the file name).

I'm not opposed to using 1.3.14, I was just more familiar with the 1.2.x versions.

Although, there is one area I'm not quite sure on how to use properly yet. Say I open one file and another in a different window, when I cut and paste the second file into the window of the first there is a gap. How do I get it to paste directly after the first audio file ends. (This is something that was done automatically in the 1.2.x versions, if I'm not mistaken.

But alas, until I figure out how to export, the above question is useless.
jdub1892

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 am

jdub1892 wrote: "Cannot export audio to /01.wav" (01 being the file name).

What's the "/" ?
Did you perhaps enter "/01" as the file name?

error.png
error.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 13115 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:18 am

jdub1892 wrote:I was trying to export to my desktop in WAV and the Message that comes up says "Cannot export audio to /01.wav" (01 being the file name).

I'm not opposed to using 1.3.14, I was just more familiar with the 1.2.x versions.

OK so please user 1.3.14 - 1.2 is not supported on OS X 10.4 or later.

"/" is the character on Mac that separates folders from one another in the path to a file. You can use / in a file name on Mac (because the system works around it) but it is a bad idea unless the files are only for your own computer. As far as 1.3.14 is concerned, / in a file name will work for exports except in Export Multiple, where it will give the error you show (due to an Audacity bug). So if Export Multiple is what you are doing you MUST use some other character (like - or _ ) .

jdub1892 wrote:there is one area I'm not quite sure on how to use properly yet. Say I open one file and another in a different window, when I cut and paste the second file into the window of the first there is a gap. How do I get it to paste directly after the first audio file ends. (This is something that was done automatically in the 1.2.x versions, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes but it wasn't convenient if you wanted to paste after the end of the track. To paste exactly at the end of the track in 1.3.14, click anywhere in the track (in it or after it), then press K, then paste.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by jdub1892 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:24 am

steve wrote:
jdub1892 wrote: "Cannot export audio to /01.wav" (01 being the file name).

What's the "/" ?
Did you perhaps enter "/01" as the file name?

error.png

Gale Andrews wrote:
jdub1892 wrote:I was trying to export to my desktop in WAV and the Message that comes up says "Cannot export audio to /01.wav" (01 being the file name).

OK so please user 1.3.14 - 1.2 is not supported on OS X 10.4 or later.

"/" is the character on Mac that separates folders from one another in the path to a file. You can use / in a file name on Mac (because the system works around it) but it is a bad idea unless the files are only for your own computer. As far as 1.3.14 is concerned, / in a file name will work for exports except in Export Multiple, where it will give the error you show (due to an Audacity bug). So if Export Multiple is what you are doing you MUST use some other character (like - or _ ) .

jdub1892 wrote:there is one area I'm not quite sure on how to use properly yet. Say I open one file and another in a different window, when I cut and paste the second file into the window of the first there is a gap. How do I get it to paste directly after the first audio file ends. (This is something that was done automatically in the 1.2.x versions, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes but it wasn't convenient if you wanted to paste after the end of the track. To paste exactly at the end of the track in 1.3.14, click anywhere in the track (in it or after it), then press K, then paste.

Gale

I named the file: 01, I never put the "/" in there, that was just in the error message. It still isn't working, regardless of what I name the export file. Could it have something to do with a plug-in or library?
jdub1892

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 am

Are you using export multiple? If so, try selecting all the part you want to export as your first track, then File > Export. Repeat for the other tracks.

If that does not help. try Edit > Select All, Edit > Copy, File > New then Edit > Paste. Try exporting the copied audio from the new project.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Return to Mac OS X