1.2.6 NOT recognizing my microphone

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

1.2.6 NOT recognizing my microphone

Permanent link to this post Posted by stringduster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 am

I finally got a successful download of 1.2.6 on my PRE intel Mac G5 and the program is not recognizing the mic I use as the recording device. I have used it before on earlier versions and it worked. It show taht it is working and recognized in my APPLE preferences. I don't know what gives. Any clues from ANYONE?!
stringduster

Re: 1.2.6 NOT recognizing my microphone

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 am

<<<the program is not recognizing the mic I use as the recording device.>>>

It would have been good right up front to know what that microphone was.

<<<my PRE intel Mac G5>>>

It would have been good to know right up front which PowerPC machine.

<<<It show taht it is working and recognized in my APPLE preferences.>>>

It shows up in Apple System Preferences, but do you get the bouncing lights if you talk into the microphone?

Launch Audacity from a cold start, select Default Input, and make sure the volume controls are all the way up. Click once inside the red record meters and talk into the mic. Still dead?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by stringduster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Okay "KOZ" here you go.
1. NOT an intel macG5. Last of the single cores
2. Logitec microphone
3. Yes, I get the "bouncing" up and down the line.
4. I tried your suggestions. Still no input even when trying to use the built in mic as the recording device.
So, now what? And why now?

Okay, it is 30 minutes from the above post. I trashed 1.2.6 PPC and downloaded it again for the umpteenth time. NOW here is what's going on. This time the version is recognizing my logitec mic as it is showing up in the Audacity o/I preferences. However, now when I hit the record button I get an error dialogue box that reads: " Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate." I don't know at this point what the "sample rate refers to, but I have tried every choice listed at the bottom left of the project page where is says "project rate" and that has not removed the error message. As for the input device settings what else is there to do other than make sure that the logitec mic is listed as the device I want to use?
PS: The only choice I have listed in the "default Input Source" BOX, IS "default input source". When I hit the up/down arrow it toggles to the DIS with a check mark next to it. That's it. Should there be other listings in that box I should be seeing? Can it be "unchecked"? If so does that have anything to do with all this nonsense I am experiencing?
stringduster

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm

<<<1. NOT an intel macG5. Last of the single cores>>>

But for goodness sake, don't tell me which one.

I want to buy exactly your machine on eBay. What should I look for? If I buy the wrong one I'm going to be really upset.

<<<2. Logitec microphone>>>

There can't be more than 5,000 of those. Model numbers are good. I don't like running in a vacuum. It makes my ears hurt.

<<<I trashed 1.2.6 PPC and downloaded it again for the umpteenth time. >>>

No you didn't. You trashed the program but left the preferences file. The best way, the only way, to get Audacity to start over is leave the program alone and trash the preference file.

Trash Mac Audacity Preferences
/SystemDrive/Users/koz/Library/Preferences/audacity Preferences

Some installs have a configuration file in there. Something.cfg.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by stringduster » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 pm

I really don't know what your ******* problem is. Skip the " smarter than you attitude" and go straight to eat ****. Your the moderator, huh?
Or just acting like one. Forget the whole ******* thing. Don't waste you time on a reply. There must be thousands of others you can piss while being totally
unhelpful at the same time. I came to this ******* "forum" hat in hand not claiming anything so take your *** elsewhere. You need a hobby away from human life forms.....like an animal shelter. And there you will indeed be smarter than most of the inmates.
Last edited by waxcylinder on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: expletives deleted
stringduster

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:59 pm

Did you trash the preferences file?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Sorry about the attitude, but constant fights to get people to give us enough information to solve the problem do make me crazy after a while. We don't have crystal balls, although I do have my own and my grandfathers, but most of us have to make do with the information provided by the users.

Sometimes it's uphill.

You will find that out when you come back and help others. This is a volunteer organization. Anybody can help.

I'm an administrator enough to delete postings from people trying to make my manhood bigger. So don't do that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:56 am

stringduster wrote:I really don't know what your ******* problem is......

Hey fella calm down a bit please - and please refrain from vulgar insults (there's women and children using this forum too ....)

Actually Koz is an extemely helpful person and gives a lot of his time feeely to help others on this forum (including me) - if you look at his Audacity profile however you will see that he lists himself as a professional curmudgeon .... :D

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to Mac OS X