Starlogic turntable, no music

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Starlogic turntable, no music

Permanent link to this post Posted by faabonner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:36 pm

My wife bought me a Starlogic turntable to hook to my computer a couple of years ago. I am just now getting around to and I have downloaded the newest version of Audacity for MAC's. I turn on the turntable and it doesn't appear as though it is going through the computer. I have the USB cable hooked to the computer and the turntable is turning and I can barely hear music coming from the turntable but nothing through the computer. There are also two feeds for speakers but no where to plug them in the MAC. Is there an operating manual I can download, this is driving me crazy.
faabonner

Re: Starlogic turntable, no music

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Close Audacity.
Apple > System Preferences > Hardware > Sound > Input. You should see the USB "something" listed there. Select it and you should see the blue ball bouncing meter move with the record sound.

Then open Audacity > Preferences and select the same thing, or Core Audio. Restart Audacity. Try to make a recording.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by faabonner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 am

Thank you, that got it to record and I can listen after it has recorded. Is there a way to listen while it is recording?
faabonner

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:37 am

Is there a way to listen while it is recording?

Transport (menu) > Software Playthrough.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by faabonner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Thank you everyone for the help, I now have sound while the record is playing. Now I have a question, I am using a MAC with the Leopard operating system. What are the steps are necessary to burn from the record to a disk? As you can tell I am not very good at this.

Thanks
faabonner

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 pm

faabonner wrote:Thank you everyone for the help, I now have sound while the record is playing. Now I have a question, I am using a MAC with the Leopard operating system. What are the steps are necessary to burn from the record to a disk? As you can tell I am not very good at this.

Thanks

In Audacity export as WAV (PCM 16 bits 44100Hz).

Do you know how to burn a cd using iTunes? You can open the WAV's in iTunes and then use it to burn an audio cd.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by faabonner » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I am sorry bgravato I have never burned a CD from Itunes. I am very new to all of this and I am not as young as I use to be. I am trying to learn as I go.
faabonner

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:42 pm

faabonner wrote:I am sorry bgravato I have never burned a CD from Itunes. I am very new to all of this and I am not as young as I use to be. I am trying to learn as I go.

No problem at all. I was just trying to find out if there was any method you knew and were comfortable with.

I'm not the typical mac user (I'm a linux user who started using mac's somewhat recently), so I might not be the best person to give advice on this topic. I'll wait for the mac elves to jump in a provide better guide lines (Bill?).

Meanwhile you can have a read at this topic in the wiki: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/How_to_burn_CDs

It's not really mac oriented, but it might help understanding some of the technologies involved here.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by billw58 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm

To burn a CD from iTunes, you first need to create a playlist. Then you burn the playlist to an audio CD.

-- Bill
billw58
Forum Staff

Return to Mac OS X