Help Using External Microphone

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Help Using External Microphone

Permanent link to this post Posted by caster » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:02 am

Is it possible to get Audacity to recognize and record from external USB microphones?

I am on OS X.4.10 and am using a 2 microphone interface (E-MU's 0404 Audio/Midi Interface). The computer lists the interface in the Sound/Input window. The input level monitor at the bottom responds to both microphones, but Audacity will only record off the computers built in microphone. How do I get it to record from the two external mics? Help!!!
caster

Re: Help Using External Microphone

Permanent link to this post Posted by caster » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:26 am

I figured it out!! I hadn't had the preferences set properly. Thanks to all who read this.
caster

Permanent link to this post Posted by purrkofiev » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 pm

I am having the same problem as the initial poster, although I haven't figured it out! I would like to use my external mic for recording on Audiobook. I'm using a Macbook and just downloaded the latest version of Audacity. Whenever I go into their preferences, the only options are for "built-in" devices; I don't see any "external" options. Am I missing something? Please please help!
purrkofiev

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:10 pm

caster wrote:I figured it out!! I hadn't had the preferences set properly. Thanks to all who read this.

please tell us what settings worked!
someone else may have the problem and read this thread hoping to find an answer.
whomper
Probationer (now banned)

Permanent link to this post Posted by purrkofiev » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Yes, I wish that person would have posted the solution... but that was 3 years ago. :-(
I downloaded the older version of Audacity and that one doesn't seem to have any options for an external microphone either.
purrkofiev

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

A common problem on the forum is someone posting with "the same problem" and it's not.

Do you have a USB microphone? Did you plug it into the side of your MacBook with the broad flat connector? Did the microphone lights come on?

Apple > System Preferences > Hardware > Sound > Input. Make sure the USB microphone is selected. Make sure the bouncing blue ball sound meter kicks when you talk. Close the panel.

Launch Audacity and set the preferences for 44100. 16-bit, mono.
Audacity > Preferences > Audio I/O > Input > Device. Select the same USB microphone if it lets you. > OK.
Restart Audacity.

When Audacity comes back, press record and talk into the microphone.

You can also launch Audacity and click once inside the red recording meters and they will wake up and monitor the input volume without you needing to go into record.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by purrkofiev » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Thank you very much for getting back to me!
Well, I am not at all tech-savvy, so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.
No, I don't believe it is a USB microphone; I've been plugging it into "headphone" on my computer. Is a USB mic necessary?
purrkofiev

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:09 pm

<<<Well, I am not at all tech-savvy, so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.>>>

s'OK. Half the fun of doing this is to zoom into poster's problem in as few steps as possible.

What kind of microphone do you have? We live on picky details. Does it have a web site? Model number? Pretend I want to buy one exactly like yours.

I can tell you that unlike Windows machines, most Macs do not directly support analog microphones. The original poster had a digital microphone (USB). Those plug into anything, but they have their own problems.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by purrkofiev » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:14 pm

It's a Sony ECM-MS957 electret condenser stereo microphone.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... d=11028618
It looks like maybe I can only use it with a mini-disc player... ??
purrkofiev

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:17 pm

It is something of an odd duck. The audio connector is standard, but the signals on it are not. So the short answer is that it's a very nice stereo microphone, no computer I know can accept the signals on the plug. Sony products are probably just fine with it.

It's possible you might be able to force a Windows machine to record from it, but it wouldn't be in stereo.

Sony has a history of wandering off by itself and doing wacky things.

So you can capture a live stereo performance on your MiniDisk or other Sony product, and then transfer the show to Audacity in your Mac for editing.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Mac OS X