recording internet radio on MacMini

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

recording internet radio on MacMini

Permanent link to this post Posted by p2066 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi,
I am trying desperately to record internet radio as MP3 files with Audacity on my Mac Mini but cannot manage to get any sound out of the Mac Mini. I just downloaded Audacity and tried it right away. My question is: can I record internet radio with my Mac Mini (who doesn't have an audio in)?
Because I have no issue when using WireTap Studio (shareware: I am trying to stay on freeware...).
Does somebody have a good tutorial?
Thanks!!!!

And Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!
p2066

Re: recording internet radio on MacMini

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 am

<<<I am trying desperately to record internet radio>>>

Desperation should lead you to pop for a full license for WireTap--I think the current one is WireTap Studio.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/

That's the way I do it on my Mini. How did you get a Mini with no audio inputs, not that they're needed in this case. Usually, the Audio Out and Audio In go together. Where do you connect your speakers? The mini has built-in speakers, but I don't know anybody willing to listen to them for much over ten seconds.

Anyway, Macs don't have that complicated sound mixer panel that PCs do, so you're stuck with a software package that redirects the data streams inside the machine.

I picked WireTap--back when it was only "pro."

If you get a different package to work, write the tutorial and come back and show us.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert1014 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:52 pm

You could try downloading Soundflower, a freeware app that allows you to route audio between applications that don't normally "speak" to each other. I also own and use Wiretap Studio, but I like some of the effects available in Audacity's editor that are unavailable in Wiretap Studio, (i.e., cut, copy, paste, and reverse, among others), so I also use Audacity. Although I could simply import audio files recorded with Wiretap Studio into Audacity, I kept seeing references to Soundflower on the web and I was intrigued...I WANTED to be able to record streaming audio with Audacity if I chose to do so. I could already record vinyl lps in Audacity through my line-in port, and this would just add more functionality. I even saw Soundflower referenced on Audacity's Wiki page discussing issues pertinent to Mac users. See:

"No built-in streaming audio recording

Applies to: All Audacity versions
Macs almost always have no ability to record streaming audio internally off the built-in audio device. You could use Audio Hijack or Wiretap instead, which will capture the audio to AIFF files directly from the player application. Turn off compression in Wiretap Preferences if you want to import the recorded AIFF files into Audacity.

Alternatively if you are on OS X 10.2 and later you can use the free open source Soundflower system extension, on which Audio Hijack is based, too. Soundflower behaves like an additional system audio device, so for example to record streaming audio into Audacity you would select Soundflower as the output device in the application in which you are playing sound, and Soundflower as the input device on the Audio I/O tab of Audacity Preferences. If the application playing the sound does not allow you to specify its output device, you can make Soundflower the default output device in Apple Audio-MIDI Setup."

So, if you'd like, download Soundflower and install it. You won't see a window pane open up, but you should see a little flower icon in your menu bar. (If you want this to always be on, add it to your log-in items, otherwise, you'll have to open Soundflower every time you reboot.) You should probably make Soundflower your default system audio device. For easy switching, download a free app from Rogue Amoeba called Soundsource. It will appear as a little set of headphones in your menu bar. You can easily switch your input and output devices here. You should select "Soundflower 2ch" as your input device in the Soundsource menu.

Then, when you open Audacity's preferences, you'll have a choice to select your "recording" device as not just "built in line input" or "built in digital input" but also "Soundflower 2ch." (You can leave your output device as "built in line output.") When you want to record internet radio or other streaming audio, go to Soundsource and switch your system output device from "Line Out" to "Soundflower 2ch." Audacity should be able to "hear" and thus record any streaming audio coming through the system. When done, I like to go to Soundsource and switch system output back to "line out," simply because it allows me to adjust the system volume manually using the sliders and the keyboard; when the system output is selected as "Soundflower 2ch," you can't do this.

This may all seem complicated, as it did to me when I was reading about it, but it's really pretty easy once you try it. (Believe me, I am not techie, so if I can do this, you should be able to.)
Robert1014

Permanent link to this post Posted by p2066 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:23 am

it works fine (and quite easily).
Thanks a lot for your very useful feedback!!!!
p2066

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert1014 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:30 pm

I'm glad you were able to achieve your goal and happy to have been of help. Cheers!
Robert1014

Permanent link to this post Posted by Levantine » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 am

Hello,
I followed your instructions and I have the flower and the earphones in the bar. I changed the settings you stated but when I go to audacity I don't see the option to select SOUNDFLOWER 2ch. I still cannot record streaming audio. I am starting to wonder why I bought a mac. I thought these computers were made for multimedia and isn't recording music multimedia? I was very surprised when I read that the macs are unable to play and record at the same time. That one blew my mind. When I had my pc I used GOLDWAVE and was able to record real good wav files and convert them to MP3 without a hitch. Does MS have one up on APPLE? If anyone can assist me it would be greatly appreciated. I have an IMAC 2.1ghz running leopard. Using audacity to try and record cause Goldwave does not record using VMWARE.

Thanks.
Levantine

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 am

<<<I am starting to wonder why I bought a mac.>>>

You have us there. This process is much harder to do on a Mac than on a PC. Actually, I don't think you needed any additional software on a PC, just Free Audacity and the Windows Control Panels:

http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#Using_the_Control_Panel

Depending on which Windows you have, I think it's select "Mix" or "What you Hear" and anything going through the speakers can be recorded. I think it even gives you level controls, as I recall, and not force you accept the level on the incoming stream like the Mac software does.

Also, I think there is much more production software available on the PC side. I own a license for Cool Edit and the grandson program Adobe Audition. I regularly use both and I don't know what I'd do without them, but they're not available on any other platform. It's one of the reasons I keep the PCs around.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert1014 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:01 pm

"I changed the settings you stated but when I go to audacity I don't see the option to select SOUNDFLOWER 2ch."

You should see this under Audacity preferences, where you're given the choice of selecting input device. There should be a dropdown where you see the choices of "built in digital line in" or "built in line in" or "Soundflower 2ch" or "Soundflower 16ch."

If you don't see these choices, I wonder whether Soundflower correctly installed on your Mac. I'm away for the holidays and am not at my own machine, so I can only go by memory of what you should see. When you want to record streaming audio, the output device in Soundsource MUST be switched to "Soundflower 2ch." After you're done recording, you may re-select "built-in line out" in Soundsource as your system output device.

If this doesn't work for you, I don't know what to say. I won't return to my home until January 01, so if you're still unable to get Audacity to record for you by then, I'll check out my own Mac's various settings and see if I can offer more suggestions.

Good luck.
Robert1014

Permanent link to this post Posted by Levantine » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:12 am

Thanks guys. I am going to work on it but if i don't get it to work I am going to have to invest on a new pc. reason I moved to the mac cause my old pc crashed and I thought it was time for a mac. I guess I was wrong.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas.
Levantine

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 am

<<<I guess I was wrong. >>>

It's a new Mini, right? Can I buy it? What was the purchase price? You're not going to be happy unless you're updating your PC virus software every fifteen minutes and struggling with Windows Updates. I want a second Mini to host my web site. You won't be the first to "put the Mini in the garage," and I'm comfortable using both.

Wait a minute. You have an iMac? What happened to the guy with the Mini?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Next

Return to Mac OS X