Latency Correction Inquiry

This section is now closed

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

Mac 0S X 10.3 and earlier are no longer supported but you can download legacy versions of Audacity for those systems HERE.

Latency Correction Inquiry

Permanent link to this post Posted by Dr. Nobotnic » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 pm

Hello,

First and foremost, I am proud to say I'm a huge Audacity fan and have been in love with it since 2008. Being that long ago, I've grown rather warm and accustomed to Audacity 1.2.5. Throughout the years, being the open minded person I am, I have dabbled with newer versions of Audacity, but have always stuck with 1.2.5 due to it having no latency issues.

Recently, I made a disheartening mistake by updating El Capitan on my Mac, and as you are well aware, it's not the most compatible with Audacity 1.2.5. (More specifically, it quits immediately whenever you attempt to record or adjust the volume on the mic in Audacity.) To my dismay, I've been forced to use 2.1.1. I've closely followed the latency correction instructions found in this forum (very helpful by the way) and have succeeded at it to as close as perfect as it can get. I know on a technical level, it will never be ideally perfect no matter what interface your using, but even that 1 millisecond off is still unbearably noticeable and hinders my recordings unlike my satisfactory recording experience on Audacity 1.2.5.

On a foundational level, the quality of recording on Audacity 1.2.5 completely blows version 2.1.1 out of the water. The older version has zero noticeable latency issues, while with the newer version, you not only have to adjust latency correction, which is an inconvenience within itself, but you can't even fix it to the alignment you'd get with what 1.2.5 offers by default. It just seems so counterintuitive to me since you would think the newer versions would get better than the previous ones in all aspects.

Perhaps my frustrations maybe rooted out of selfishness, discontentment with the newer versions or even my ignorance of the program designer's overall bigger picture/motives for Audacity, but if you could help me understand the logic behind this, it would be much appreciated.

I'm aware that the forums for the old versions are closed and longer supported, but it would make me the happiest man in the world if you could somehow work a miracle and help me.

Sincerely,
A long time Audacity fan
Dr. Nobotnic

Operating System: Please select

Re: Latency Correction Inquiry

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm

I recommend you go back to your previous version of OS X if you want to use Audacity 1.2.5. Please see http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/09/howto-downgrade-os-x-el-capitan-mac/.

If the built-in automatic latency correction works for you in 1.2.5, you are an exceptional case. For most of our users (on Windows) the automated correction which was provided by the PortAudio audio interface that we use did not bring overdubbed audio into alignment. So we needed to provide a method of correction that would work for most of our users.

We can add your "vote" that Audacity should provide its own automated latency correction - I have never believed it to be extraordinarily difficult to make such an alignment.

We cannot offer help with Audacity 1.2, nor can we fix it to be compatible with El Capitan. Please start a new topic in http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=47 if you decide to use Audacity 2.1.1 and we will try to help you make Latency Correction work better. Please attach your Mac system report to your post.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Mac OS X