Realtek HD and recording through Line-In - How?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Realtek HD and recording through Line-In - How?

Permanent link to this post Posted by omonoiatis9 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 pm

I can't seem to be able to select Line-In as my recording device. Any ideas? My soundcard is Realtek HD. Because of this the dropdown menu at the recording device toolbar is grayed out. So I change it through Preferences when I need to. I thought to record from Line-In I should select my soundcard as a recording device.

But it has 3 jacks. A headphone jack, a speaker jack and a Line-In jack. Therefore the dropdown menu should light up, asking me which jack I would like to choose as my recording device, though this never happens. It always records the Mic by default. How do I get it to record the Line-In channel?

Thanks a million in advance
omonoiatis9

Re: Realtek HD and recording through Line-In - How?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 pm

Does it say anywhere in clear English or unmistakable icons that you have a Line-In?

According to the RealTek web site (and depending on which board you actually have), all the inputs and outputs can be configured to do whatever you need -- and probably mow the lawn and make coffee if you want.

However, you do need the RealTek latest software packages and drivers to do that. Windows by itself has no idea what any of this is or how it works.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm

omonoiatis9 wrote:But it has 3 jacks. A headphone jack, a speaker jack and a Line-In jack. Therefore the dropdown menu should light up, asking me which jack I would like to choose as my recording device, though this never happens.

Is this a desktop or a laptop computer?

If it is a desktop, make sure that nothing is plugged into the front sound card sockets, and try plugging into the line-in socket on the rear of the computer. With luck your computer will ask you what has been plugged in.

If this does not happen, then you will have to dig through all the options, the hard to find options, and the impossible to find options of your Realtek sound card. Unfortunately we are not able to help with that because every computer with a Realtek sound card seem to have their own unique settings - the PC manufacturer is probably your best bet.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by omonoiatis9 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Firstly, thanks a lot for the fast replies ;) Sorry that I haven't been able to answer earlier

Yes, it does say that i have a line-in jack (if you're talking about my soundcard), "unmistakable icons" as you mentioned ;) I can see the icon at the back of my pc. If you're talking about Audacity input config, then no, I can't see Line-In anywhere to be chosen. Otherwise I wouldn't be posting this thread at first place ;p

My computer is a desktop pc
Oh and I never have anything plugged in front of the pc. When I plug a wire into the Line-In jack a baloon appears at the trail at the bottom right of the monitor saying "You just plugged a device into the audio jack". I can't configure anything concerning the recording device tho. And it has nothing to do with Audacity.
The problem is that I can't actually choose WHICH of the 3 devices on my sound card I want as my recording device in Audacity. My only option is to choose the soundcard itself. And then the recording device is the mic by default. Assuming I don't plug anything into the mic jack, I just record emptiness. It doesn't automatically move to the line-in or anything
omonoiatis9

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Look near the date/time in the bottom right of your screen for a loudspeaker icon - there may be two.
This/these are where you find the settings for your sound card.

If there are two loudspeaker icons (possibly) a gold one and a brown one, the the gold coloured one will open the Windows Mixer and the brown one will open the RealTek control panel. Open the RealTek control panel and search it thoroughly to find out what settings are available and what each one does. As I said before, these things seem to be different on every machine, but there are a number of posts on this forum that have some pictures that may help.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by tupac_2nd » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 am

Hey mate,

Have you tried changing your default playback device to Realtek Digital output ?
tupac_2nd

Permanent link to this post Posted by omonoiatis9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 am

Hey there :) Well, I don't have such an option, the playback options I have are Realtek HD audio output and Microsoft Sound Mapper. I mostly use Realtek HD Audio output and have tried the other one as well. But I don't see how this is related to my problem =/ The thing is that I can't set Line-In as my recording device. Don't have an option to
omonoiatis9

Permanent link to this post Posted by tupac_2nd » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:00 am

Ahh okay. Um...forget what i said before. Do you have an application that can configure the realtek sound card? Mine is Acer HD audio manager. When i open it I see the three inputs and I click the line in one and it asks me "what do you have plugged in?" or something like that. Then I choose line in and restart audacity and i can see it there. Try using the application that you have. It should be in control panel. I just fiddled around a bit and eventually it worked. Let me know how that works for you.

Cheers
tupac_2nd

Permanent link to this post Posted by omonoiatis9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:43 am

I have Realtek HD Audio Manager and I've searched it thoroughly and I can't seem to find a way out of this. I guess I'll just get your application and problem solved? ;) Oh, and could you send me a link of where I can download it, please?
omonoiatis9

Permanent link to this post Posted by tupac_2nd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Im not sure if it'll will work but you can try in google acer hd audio manager.
tupac_2nd

Next

Return to Windows