Make Audio Louder

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Make Audio Louder

Permanent link to this post Posted by Tanner2007 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:38 am

How could I make a song thats low volume louder so when I play it on my phone I can hear it clearly without it being fuzzy or messed up?
Tanner2007

Re: Make Audio Louder

Permanent link to this post Posted by allencmcbride » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:30 am

To make a song louder, first try "Normalize" under "Effects". Try choosing -.5dB. If that doesn't do enough, try the "Compressor" effect. Start with default settings, and if that's not enough, try increasing the ratio and/or decreasing the threshold. If you end up wanting to get deeper into compression, I recommend Chris Capel's compressor plug-in: http://pdf23ds.net/software/dynamic-compressor/. --Allen
allencmcbride

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 am

I'm not sure if Chris's dynamic compressor works with Audacity 1.2 - you may need to upgrade to Audacity 1.3

Another good (but different) compressor is the "SC4 compressor" - for maximising sounds, the SC4 is probably better than Chris's (Chris's compressor excels at evening out dynamics as described on his web site).

SC4 - http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:07 am

I'm not trying to talk you out of upgrading, but Chris claims his work runs nicely under 1.2.6.

Yes, Chris has the graceful compressor. I tell people it sounds like the local NPR FM station. It doesn't appear to be doing anything until you compare it to the show without it. If you download the podcast or the streaming version of the air show, you find yourself reaching for the volume control more and more because the streaming show doesn't go through any compressors. When the announcer leans into the microphone, it gets seriously loud.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Windows