USB Cassette to PC Recorder

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

USB Cassette to PC Recorder

Permanent link to this post Posted by blighgal27 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm running Windows XP Pro, HP PC .. two years old.
I just purchased the Grace USB Tape2PC recorder. It came with Audacity 1.26 which I already have installed on my machine. I already have installed the Ion USB turntable, which installed with no problems at all. Now trying to install this new device is giving me a headache ...
The problem is that in Audacity under Edit>Preferences>Audio I/O ...Recording Device: it does not show AK5371 (the Grace USB cassette recorder). It gives me several options, one of which is my Ion USB turntable.
How can I get my new cassette player recognized?

Any help is appreciated.
blighgal27

Re: USB Cassette to PC Recorder

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm

blighgal27 wrote:I'm running Windows XP Pro, HP PC .. two years old.
I just purchased the Grace USB Tape2PC recorder. It came with Audacity 1.26 which I already have installed on my machine. I already have installed the Ion USB turntable, which installed with no problems at all. Now trying to install this new device is giving me a headache ...
The problem is that in Audacity under Edit>Preferences>Audio I/O ...Recording Device: it does not show AK5371 (the Grace USB cassette recorder). It gives me several options, one of which is my Ion USB turntable.

If you search for "AK5371" on the Forum you will see that most people have problems getting this AK5371 USB chip recognised by the operating system (whether it is in a USB turntable or some other USB audio device). You will have to follow all the steps here for trying to get the device seen by the system and by Audacity. Those instructions apply equally to any kind of USB audio device. If the Grace gizmo does not work, and if you must have a USB device to transfer tapes to your computer, I suggest you get the Ion Tape2PC instead. Or record your cassettes the more professional way using line-in, if your computer has one.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Re: USB Cassette to PC Recorder

Permanent link to this post Posted by blighgal27 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
blighgal27 wrote:I'm running Windows XP Pro, HP PC .. two years old.

If you search for "AK5371" on the Forum you will see that most people have problems getting this AK5371 USB chip recognised by the operating system (whether it is in a USB turntable or some other USB audio device). You will have to follow all the steps here for trying to get the device seen by the system and by Audacity. Those instructions apply equally to any kind of USB audio device. If the Grace gizmo does not work, and if you must have a USB device to transfer tapes to your computer, I suggest you get the Ion Tape2PC instead. Or record your cassettes the more professional way using line-in, if your computer has one.

Gale

Thanks for your good advice and for pointing me in another direction. I took your advice, dusted off my cassette player and using RCA cables I already have, connected my player to my PC and in no time, using Audacity, I was copying my tapes to my computer. It was easy to do and certainly saved me some money.

Thanks very much.

Gail
blighgal27

Return to Windows