Can't hear while recording

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Re: Can't hear while recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bender » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Waxcylinder: yes, that would be much appreciated......because I did go to the Control Panel and then look at the Realktek HD settings, but didn't see much that would help......but your config might certainly be of assistance. Thanks for that.

Stevethefiddle: Yeah....I'm on a laptop.....so its either the mic or the headphone jacks as an input I'm afraid.
Bender

Permanent link to this post Posted by Thunderhart » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:06 am

I also am a new user of this software, fairly pleased with it yet. I like to record a rhythm part and record (and create at the same time) other parts, I have no problem hearing what I last recorded when doing an add-on recording (another track -live) often experimenting. Any way, the issue, when I do this the last track ghost's into the new track, so I do not get a truly isolated track. is this just normal? can I not get to actually individual (apart from sounds of other tracks) tracks?
Thunderhart

MULTI-Track recordings work GREAT

Permanent link to this post Posted by guitarman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:58 am

Hi, I have The Audacity recorder program & what I did was I went to preferences on the edit menu clicked on audio I\O & go down to you see play track while recording a new one I play Lead guitar in my recordings & it works great,Along with ,my Alesis SR-16 Drum Machine!

Hope this helps

Tommy Benson
Last edited by guitarman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
guitarman

Permanent link to this post Posted by Oshkash » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:13 am

ok this is the problem it worked and played and recorded fine the first time , then tried it again and this time I don't get anything in the record box just a flat line ??? Yes have been reading the forums and tried everything that was suggested ??? been at this for 2.5 hrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! uninstalled -reinstalled , rebooted even tried the bata ??? gone through all my settings ? XP SP3 don't know where to next ???? I realled like this program when it first ran and now ??? Please help . Thank you all .
Oshkash

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:08 am

Oshkash wrote:ok this is the problem it worked and played and recorded fine the first time , then tried it again and this time I don't get anything in the record box just a flat line ??? Yes have been reading the forums and tried everything that was suggested ??? b

You've missed out some vital information: You're using XP? Vista? You're recording with the Realtek HD audio sound card on your laptop? You're recording from a USB turntable? All we can deduce from your description is that something is wrong.
Start a new topic and describe your set-up and exactly what you are doing, then we will probably be able to help. (Remember that we can not see your system).

Thunderhart wrote:I like to record a rhythm part and record (and create at the same time) other parts, I have no problem hearing what I last recorded when doing an add-on recording (another track -live) often experimenting. Any way, the issue, when I do this the last track ghost's into the new track, so I do not get a truly isolated track.

You have either got "spill-over" from your loudspeakers into your microphone, or you have got a setting wrong in the Windows Mixer. My guess is that you have the Windows Mixer set to record from "Stereo Mix". If you are recording from the microphone input, you should select "Mic in" as the recording source. If you are recording from the "Line in", then you should set that as the recording source. If "Stereo Mix" is selected, then it will record all sounds that are coming through your computer, including any previously recorded tracks that are playing. See here for more information: http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php? ... bar_Issues

Back to the original question....
waxcylinder wrote:If you want me to post what config I have set on my Realtek interface I can do that

Some good screen shots of the Realtek custom interface would be handy for a lot of people.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bender » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:18 am

No ideas? Still haven't been able to work this one out unfortunately.
Bender

My Realtek HD Audio Manager settings

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:35 am

Ok Bender - sorry it took me a while to get back but here we go. This is the way my Realtek interface is set on the Mixer tab. Note that I have only two input options for recording Mic and Stereo Mix. I can only select one of them at a time (it toggles) and at the moment I have the Stereo Mix selected thus enabling me to record streaming audio. I believe that you can reset the behaviour to allow multi-straming from the toolbox (spanner icon) see further screenshots below. The large circular knob is the gain/volume control - and above that is a L-R balace slider. I don't appear to have line-in available, which puzzles me - but doesn't bother me as I can record from FM tuner TT etc with my external USB soundcard.
realtek.PNG
realtek.PNG (134.03 KiB) Viewed 2498 times

And now in response to SteveTF's request here are a set of screenshots from my Realtek HD interface:

Mixer Toolbox - Record - accessed thru spanner icon
realtek2.PNG
realtek2.PNG (13.1 KiB) Viewed 2493 times

Mixer Toolbox - Playback - accessed thru the other spanner icon
realtek3.PNG
realtek3.PNG (7.42 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

Changing tabs to the "Sound Effect" tab - an equalizer
I have never played with this at all just left it set at neutral
realtek4.PNG
realtek4.PNG (180.78 KiB) Viewed 2488 times

The "Audio I/O" tab - not sure what you can do with this except toggle betweeen setting to optimize for speakers or headphones - and to test the L/R speaker set up (with the little Play icon)
realtek5.PNG
realtek5.PNG (141.08 KiB) Viewed 2480 times

The "Microphone" tab - allows a couple of settings for Mic recording
IIRC I set the Noise suppression to "On" following some advice I read on a forum thread a while ago - but I can't for the life of me remember why this was advised
realtek6.PNG
realtek6.PNG (135.25 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

And finally the "Audio Demo" tab - "does what it says on the tin ....."
realtek7.PNG
realtek7.PNG (156.93 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

I hope that this may help a few folks who may struggle with the Realtek HD Audio Manager in the future,

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *Donate * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the pictures waxcylinder. Funnily enough I was using a computer today with a RealTek HD sound card. The interface was similar, but with some differences (as one example, "Line In" was available).

waxcylinder wrote:Changing tabs to the "Sound Effect" tab - an equalizer
I have never played with this at all just left it set at neutral

This should be set to neutral when using Audacity, otherwise you will find that as soon as you burn your project to CD and play it on a different machine (or put Exported MP3's onto an MP3 player) it will sound completely different.

waxcylinder wrote:IIRC I set the Noise suppression to "On" following some advice I read on a forum thread a while ago - but I can't for the life of me remember why this was advised

No, this should normally be switched off (for recording). It can cause strange problems if switched on - see here for an example: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7758

(I believe that the reason that it available is an attempt to make up for poor quality components - using your external USB sound card will probably be much better quality).
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Bender » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks for posting pictures.....mmmmm, its intersting because my Realtek Audio Manger looks nothing like that one.....mine is very spartan, just a page each for the speaker and microphone, and there are virtually no parametres you can change.....certainly nothing like the one you posted. I want one like yours!!!!.....having that ability to make changes would go a long way to solving my problem.

I've attached a screenshot of the format of my Audio manager to give you an idea....sorry for it not being bigger.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
Bender

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Bender wrote:..mmmmm, its intersting because my Realtek Audio Manger looks nothing like that one.....

Oh for the days when everyone used the Windows Mixer ~~~~~ (reminisces to a bygone age)

RealTek are the manufacturers of the sound chip, which they then sell to motherboard manufacturers. The manufacturer of the motherboard will then customise the sound card and the drivers in whatever way they like. They may add additional features and functionality, or may even remove features.

Depending on how confident you are with computers, you could have a look on the manufacturers web-site to see if there are any updated drivers available. If you have no joy there, you could even try the generic drivers from the RealTek website, though there is no guarantee that these will work correctly. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wnTypeID=3
steve
Senior Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Windows