Batch convert WAV to MP3?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Batch convert WAV to MP3?

Permanent link to this post Posted by hellosailor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:19 pm

This isn't an Audacity problem per se, but while I've been converting tapes to digital (128-mp3 for the phone, lossless WAV for the archive and home) I also decided to add in my CD's to the master library. So I've got some folders with just WAV files in them, and I'd like to batch convert these to MP3 files. If I open and convert using Audacity...it seems like I have to input the MP3 data tags separately for EACH track and convert each WAV to MP3 as a separate operation. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to batch this, so I just enter data once per album and the ret picks up from the WAV titles?

Or is there a good utility to try for this? I dl'd a trial of "Waver" from the web--nice, fast, clean, but it doesn't save ANY MP3 data with the files. Bummer.

Hoping someone out there has been this road before!
hellosailor

Re: Batch convert WAV to MP3?

Permanent link to this post Posted by manguiko » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 am

I think batch file conversions as you want can be handle at the operating system level, meaning it's not meant for Audacity to do batch conversions, but someone may know different. I doubt it though.

So you may want to google the question for doing this in windows.

In the Linux operating system, this things are done as said.

The principle is there's a conversion software, and you throw it a list of files to convert, by command line, or you drag and drop the files to convert and then continue.
manguiko

Permanent link to this post Posted by hellosailor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:15 pm

I know it CAN be done from the OS level, I was looking to do it from within Audacity (preferably) or else for specific recommendations for tools. Google produces lots of paid placements whenever you look for software, and then other vendors know how to stack their own listings with tools like bogus review sites that sell every tool they review.

Meanwhile someone else recommended dbpoweramp, which allows for VBR encoding, Seems to be a bit spotty about filling in information thought, some files have it, others don't, even from the same source folder. And it doesn't like to have a track manually tagged "Track 0" which is how I tag an entire album-in-one.

That's the kind of advice forums and friends are better at, than google.
hellosailor

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:33 pm

For converting batches of files, I use LameDrop. - quick, easy and free.
For batch editing of the mp3 tags, sorry I can't help - it's not something I bother with.
You could look here: http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by hellosailor » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks, Steve. Apparently that's another bonus in Vista: You can edit or group edit the MP3 tags by turning on the "details" view in the folder.

(As if that's enough reason to go run out and buy a hypochondriac OS. You know, the kind of OS that sneezes and then immediately requires a hospital stay to get it out of a self-imagined coma?<G>)
hellosailor

Return to Windows