Not the right tool for this job?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Not the right tool for this job?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sync » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am

Grr... having a struggle with a problem that is WAY too simple. I am a bit of a newbie on Audacity, though I've used it for relatively simple things for years. Usually though, I'm saving my results out to a DIFFERENT file than the input file. Now I'm finding that it seems to be INCAPABLE of overwriting the original file without turning it into a PROJECT and saving useless (to me, after my edits) ancilliary files.

I want to edit hundreds of WAV files, do an amplitude normalization on them, and then save them back out as the original filename (overwrite). I do NOT want to create hundreds of project files, I just want to 1. load the WAV file, 2. Perform the normalization and 3. SAVE the file back to the original name. PERIOD.

Simple, no? That is the workflow I'm trying to follow.

But Audacity doesn't seem to allow it. I can load & normalize, but if I try to close it asks if I want to save, and if I say YES, it INSISTS on writing out a project file-- and if I cancel it, it seems to have not saved the file out at all (and the close got cancelled, so I still have the WAV file in memory).

And if I try to EXPORT the WAV file, and pick the ORIGINAL file to overwrite, it complains that the disk is full (no doubt because it still has the file OPEN so it's then BUSY).

WTF? This is extraordinarily basic. At this point I'm about to look for a better tool for this job...

Any ideas?

--

Sync
Sync

Operating System: Please select

Re: Not the right tool for this job?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sync » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 am

Well, on a little resarch, I answered my own question. I found this Windows/Linux command line utility for normalization:

http://normalize.nongnu.org/

Worked great. Was able to batch all the files and zip through them in no-time. Even if Audacity could overwrite wav files without creating project files, this would still be faster...

--

Sync
Sync

Operating System: Please select

Return to Windows